• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BIRD WATTS. LOL

Sonar

Apr 8, 2016
eBay seller offering a like new Maco 200 (4 tubes.)
Descibes it as doing 500 "bird" with 4 watts DK.
I look at the pictures, and he's using an old dosey to show the 500 watts ("bird.")
I'm so tired of hearing people say bird watts. But if you're going to refrance output as bird watts shouldn't one be using a bird meter?
Is it just me?

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

i hate bird meters. there ugly and cost a small fortune then you have to buy the overpriced slugs.and most people buy the pep kit
you could bu a very nice pep meter for half what a bird cost. im sure ill get a lot of flack for my honest option

If you are certifying your output as bird watts then it should be on a bird meter.
I find a calibrated CN-801 more believable.
3804-1448937789-a8c2eee64299883c2551169aaeb31c7d.jpg

Reactions: Sonar and 928bolo
Bird meters measure average power not peak, some believe that for AM use average is the number that matters. Of course a Bird meter can have a peak kit installed but then it doesn't really read bird watts anymore.

i hate bird meters. there ugly and cost a small fortune then you have to buy the overpriced slugs.and most people buy the pep kit
you could bu a very nice pep meter for half what a bird cost. im sure ill get a lot of flack for my honest option

The Bird 43 tells it like it is........add a Bird peak reading kit to it and you have a meter that is more generous than a Dosy. I have a Bird 43P and the peak function is great for selling amps. Save yourself some money and buy a Coaxial Dynamics 81000A.

If you are certifying your output as bird watts then it should be on a bird meter.
I find a calibrated CN-801 more believable.
3804-1448937789-a8c2eee64299883c2551169aaeb31c7d.jpg
The Dawia 801 is an excellent true pep reading meter but I don't like cross needle meters. My eyesight has gone down hill since I hit the 50 mark 3 years ago, and I find them (cross needle meters) very rough on my eyes. I wish a company would begin producing an Autek wm1 knock off. I have 2 WM1's. My illuminated one is having a problem with a loose so239. I'm going to send it out with another piece of equipment I need repaired. I like the two separate large meters. Like 801 there's no SWR calibration needed. And the meters are super large. Before the one developed an issue both wm1's gave me the exact same readings. That leads me to believe that they're both working perfectly or both are off to the same exact extent and need to be calibrated. I would think that unlikely. They're probably both working exactly the way they should. 73's

I know what you mean about the cross meters. I have to take a minute before I walk since my eyeballs are crossed after a long session with the meter.

For true PEP you have to have the power supply connected.

Reactions: Sonar
I know what you mean about the cross meters. I have to take a minute before I walk since my eyeballs are crossed after a long session with the meter.

For true PEP you have to have the power supply connected.
I'm assuming it's the same with my Autek wm1's.
I've never used or even tried the meters without having their wallwart (power supply) plugged in?
Is it likely that the wm1 will work without it being plugged in? And if so without reading true pep what type of readings should be expected? I assumed the meter wouldn't work at all except for possibly showing SWR without the power supply plugged in. Do you believe like the 801 the wm1 would still work without the power supply?
I can't think of a reason and can't think why someone would want to use the meters without them showing true pep readings.
Is there a reason for a not wanting a true pep reading? Might there be a certain output test in which pep is not only discouraged, but not wanted?

Last edited:
Bird has its place. I have Bird and Diawia. If you have a mismatch on your antenna the numbers cannot be trusted with the Diawia or any SWR meter really. Dont believe me, raise your reflect and watch your wattage output change. The worse the match the less accurate the meter is. Bird is more accurate with anything other than a perfect 50 ohms.

My only complaint with the Diawia style meters is you can have a high SWR but your not going to see it accurately unless your wattage is close to full scale.

With that said I run Diawia %99 of the time its all relative.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.