• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

bird43 and 2by8 what should i see?

IMO the Wilson mag mount is a weak link in the chain. You need a good physical connection to ground to get the best out of the setup. If you have not tried it reverse the direction of the slug to read reflected power when you have the 2x8 on. I'd guess it is going up from where it normally reads.
You will be extremely optimistic to get 1K on the Bird. Maybe 700 max.
This will give you a little info on what you are seeing and why:

CB Radios and Export Radios

You need to do this into a dummy load to get an accurate reading. This is also why you see different results when you use different lengths of coax after the amplifier...your antenna is not a purely resistive load. If you were doing this into a dummy load, you'd find that the coax length between the amp and the meter wouldn't matter much.

You need to do this into a dummy load to get an accurate reading. This is also why you see different results when you use different lengths of coax after the amplifier...your antenna is not a purely resistive load. If you were doing this into a dummy load, you'd find that the coax length between the amp and the meter wouldn't matter much.
yes that sounds correct.dont have a load big enough.

here we go ..told you i was upgrading the batt terminals .here they are .
military style battery terminals .
lead based just like oem,look how you just simply add whatever you want to power to the bolt.you can hookup anything with a eye hook .
on the positive side we have the 2 gauge coming off the alt,the 4 gauge going to my amp and the rest is what goes to the starter.havent checked power output to see if any gains ,i am thinking not much if any ,but a nice clean looking install anyway and thats what i was after.
dsc00318nml.jpg

dsc00319s.jpg

dsc00320a.jpg

i found these online for 5bucks each ...your local napa can order them but they are near 11.00 each there .

added a ground inside the box today .as per coolbreeze suggested this dave box had no internal ground on the lug ,so i added one today .it wasnt easy .
as you can see the ground lug bolt is very close to the tuning cap.i had to dremel the old lug off and find this short bolt that just made it past the tuning cap .but it came out good .had to break out the big iron to solder that to the board .
oh my look how dirty the board is...lol....look at my clean spot now ..haha
dirt and grime gets you out bro....lol......
dsc00321c.jpg

ps-bionic chicken you are right i am finding it hard to reach 700 bird .at about 600 now .havent retested since updating the batt terminals and now this ground lug .surely cant hurt.will i get any gains ?we will know later .

added a ground inside the box today .as per coolbreeze suggested this dave box had no internal ground on the lug ,so i added one today .it wasnt easy .
as you can see the ground lug bolt is very close to the tuning cap.i had to dremel the old lug off and find this short bolt that just made it past the tuning cap .but it came out good .had to break out the big iron to solder that to the board .
oh my look how dirty the board is...lol....look at my clean spot now ..haha
dirt and grime gets you out bro....lol......
dsc00321c.jpg

ps-bionic chicken you are right i am finding it hard to reach 700 bird .at about 600 now .havent retested since updating the batt terminals and now this ground lug .surely cant hurt.will i get any gains ?we will know later .
To see 800 avg you're more than likely gonna have to get near 16 volts to that amp.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jc6tVVpsw

ah ,you resurrected an old post .....i gave up obsessing over that bird...lol.....
that 2by8 is a 2by12 now all 2879`s.(y)

i soon realized that most the guys posting these big numbers are volting thier stuff.i only have 14.5 to work with .but i can hold that under any key.
14.8 no load.14.5 under heavy key at idle.

anyway that box is no more .thanks just the same for the info.(y)

I agree radio type and tune play a part. I have better luck with cbs than exports when driving boxes and wanting avg to stay steady or swing foward abit. At 100% mod you pos and neg peaks should be the same and keep a avg meter the same under mod as it is with 0 mod. Alittle foward swing means you have alittle more pos mod peak than neg. Thats not bad but I hate to see my watts go down when mod is applied. Peak meter only show pos mod power

i can maintain the volts .i can dial up a kw of deadkey if i want too,but i dont run my stuff like that .:whistle:

it should draw in the area of 200 amps at full tilt .i dont own a ammeter.theres charts out there for those figures.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.