• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bleeding through my car stereo

If you can hear yourself talking it's called talkback.:) People pay money for that :)

Last edited:
axplayer, be sure to tell your tech to set the AM deadkey at 2 watts so that you can use that amp with it.
SSB PEP should be set to about 20 watts max, but these radios usually do about that when peaked anyway so that should not be a problem.

just out of curiosity, what was your SWR when you were using the cheap center load antenna?

dont forget that when you run an amp, there are two different SWRs to worry about.
the one going into the amp (you can use the radio's internal meter to check this) and the SWR between the amp and antenna.
you will need an external meter between amp and antenna to measure this.
LC

axplayer, be sure to tell your tech to set the AM deadkey at 2 watts so that you can use that amp with it.
SSB PEP should be set to about 20 watts max, but these radios usually do about that when peaked anyway so that should not be a problem.

just out of curiosity, what was your SWR when you were using the cheap center load antenna?

dont forget that when you run an amp, there are two different SWRs to worry about.
the one going into the amp (you can use the radio's internal meter to check this) and the SWR between the amp and antenna.
you will need an external meter between amp and antenna to measure this.
LC

The SWR on the center load was at about 1.3 w/o the amp and about 1.5 with it. The cheap centerload is now hooked up to handheld at our office at work.

According to the tech, the final may be bad, luckily for me he has a few left (they seem to be very hard to find nowadays).

Hopefully the radio will get a new lease on life. If not, I think I'll just get a Uniden 980. The prices have been dropping lately, I wonder if the radio no longer being produced or maybe Uniden is coming out with a upgrade on the 980. Of course, I prefer the Grant LT over the 980....but I think it's only because I'm getting up there in age and like old things (but only if it works ...lol)

Possibly a RF choke could help...not saying it is the solution...a "choke" is never a solution, its a "cure".
Often (for good reason) used as "insurance".
The solutions lies in various factors which are not always possible.
In some case a rf choke could come in "handy".

Here is a link to a dropbox film where it did help.
http://cb-antennas.com/?page_id=320
(bottom of page link)

Last edited:
Reactions: bob85
wait a minute, your tech said the final was bad?

if the final was bad, you would not get any SWR meter readings at all, and also no power output.

maybe im missing something, but it sounds fishy, like he is trying to BS you.
LC

Reactions: 222DBFL
wait a minute, your tech said the final was bad?

if the final was bad, you would not get any SWR meter readings at all, and also no power output.

maybe im missing something, but it sounds fishy, like he is trying to BS you.the cbdoctor"
LC

Actually, he said the backward swing may be caused by a bad final. But it seems this is not the case. The tech who benched my radio is Rick "thecbdoctor", who has been around for a long time and came very highly recommended so I trust his work. The radio is on the way back so I'm pretty excited. Too bad he isn't taking on anymore repair work...so many good old radios out there but not enough people to work on them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.