• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bluetooth...

for that type I was looking at AFTERSHOKZ, it is wireless and is non-intrusive (to the ear canal), it is slipped-on like a 'backward pair of sunglasses' ...the issue I have with that is having to keep it charged, I like the CB 'always powered' feature. Also, regarding the CB mic, it is hands free, there is a separate plug-in mic that can be clipped to the visor (or elsewhere) for even better clarity

For a headset, I use a RoadKing RK400. Keeping that thing charged is rarely an issue. If any thing, the charging drawback is that it doesn't need to be charged on a daily basis, so I sometimes forget that it needs charging.

On other threads, I have stated my suspicion of DAS brands, as far as radio stuff goes, but they did get the Bluetooth headset right. It costs less than the comparable Blue Parrot or Blue Tiger headsets, and has a ridiculous amount of talk and standby time. The noise canceling boom mic cancels out the background noise wonderfully. So impressed have I been with that device, that I gave one to my very soft-spoken best friend, so that I didn't have to respond to every single one of his statements with "Huh!?", or "Say again? ".

I have found that when I am not driving, it's still a handy device. If my parents or snivelings call me, while I'm doing something, I can talk to them and keep on doing, even if it requires both hands. By the way, I think that you can pick one up from Pilot or Flying J, right now, for about $50 (after mail in rebate)

But, if you still have your heart set on that 29LXMAX, I did note that it had good reviews on Amazon. I doubt that you'll find many users of that particular radio on this board; maybe the fellows over at Trucker Report have some experience with it?

I did get the impression that some of its features may be dependent upon others in your vicinity having the same radio, but maybe not. I note that there is a supplemental app that you install on your smartphone, and that app may have access to a national database that stores info, for example it may notice popular speed trap areas, and alert you when you are approaching one.

So, read as many reviews that you can on the radio, try the folks at Truckers Report (searches occasionally land me there; I have noticed that a couple of guys here, are there, too), and download the manual from the Cobra website, and read it.

If you DO end up buying it, I'd be interested in knowing what you think of it. While I find the Bluetooth feature redundant, and the lack of SSB to be a turn off, I do find the use of modern technology to be interesting, and would really like to know how well it all works, in practice.

Thanks for the detailed response, Saratoga Slim...I am by no means set on the Cobra 29 LX MAX or its sister the 'BT'. I just do not like the 'gimmickry' of them, too many features, too few knobs. Too bad I was in the market for this purchase a few years too late, I was shopping on Bob's CB Shop website (PA), saw the 29 LTD BT and immediately knew that it was what I was looking-for, only to find out a few clicks later that it was discontinued. I looked into the LX models but just cannot warm up to them. My instinct says to wait and see what comes to market next, but as was posted previous to this, the technology i am looking-for is becoming standard in vehicles so I would imagine there isn't much R&D happening with the design...

Yeah, I hear ya. That's one thing about my 980; too many buttons. The mic and rf gain would have been better on knobs, as opposed to buttons.

Radio R&D would probably be more productive, if the companies would put forth a little effort towards marketing. The only reason that I knew the 29LXMAX existed, prior to this thread, was because I just happened to see one on display in some random truckstop. Most truckstops aren't selling them, yet. (And, they may not start)

They still sell the 29 LTD Bluetooth. Hell, I saw it last night when I stopped at flying J while at work. So they still make it. And, I have two 29 with bluetooth, weather, nightwatch, and soundtracker. Or 29 WXBTNWST. (Where do they get these model names from?!) It works and works well. On a call, There is no pushing anything to talk. Call comes in, Push BT button to answer and go. Just speak and listen. Using the internal speaker, Sounds kind of muffled but thats the speaker its self. Works great though. I even had my phone setup to route ALL audio to the radio. Even pandora, slacker, youtube, etc... Its something to have Montley Crue blasting out when the stereo went bad. The BT uses the hand mic for outgoing audio or if connected, a "external" mic that you can put anywhere in the cab. Looks like a lapel mic. I love it. Got two still in the box now. Does everything a CB should do. Local road conditions, Weather conditions, And let you use the phone.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated