• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BNC Connection Durability

Luke_C

KD0GBK
Jul 8, 2009
CO Rockies
Got a question for y'all...

I got myeslf a new fangled HT that does everything under the sun. The antenna is connected with a BNC connection and I haven't had much experience with this type of connector. I've mostly delt with SMA.

So, how durable is the BNC connection? I've read that they're not designed for a lot of putting on and taking off of the antenna. Will they hold up switching between a rubber duckie and mag mount antenna 3-4 times a week?

I'll be using my HT in my car with the mag mount antenna, and around town/woods/house with the rubber duckie. Can the BNC take the use?

Thanks, and keep up the fine work,

The BNC is pretty robust compared with the SMA. The weak point would be how it's attached to the case and inside. If you do the switching carefully and deliberately, without straining the female connector, the BNC should last for years.

BNCs are no worse than other R.F. connectors.

If you are worried about wearing the radio's connector out get a female to male straight adaptor. Leave the adaptor on the radio and put the wear on the adaptor's male end.

This trick is used on equipment where connections will be changed often. Works on expensive fixed equipment also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.