• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boat anchors: T.M.C. GPR-90 , Johnson Pacemaker, Heathkit DX100

No...but look around the Johnson...guru's all pretty much say same thing...the VFO on the Pacemaker 20m thru 10mtr's can generate...some serious transmitted birdes if run to hot on output...but if that thing has been modded...hard telling what she will do...I had a Pacemaker(stock)...on 15 and 10 mtr's it had output on several frequencies in both bands...
So just saying...need to look at the Spectrum on the scope and watch for Spikes...other than the fundamental.
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: 357
The DX-100 or the Pacemaker need to be shipped on with a wooden crate/skid set-up UPS/FED X do not ship well if over 60lbs...commercial shipper is only way to go
IMHO
Gary
Shipping weight on a DX-100 is well over 100lbs...!!!

Reactions: 357
No...but look around the Johnson...guru's all pretty much say same thing...the VFO on the Pacemaker 20m thru 10mtr's can generate...some serious transmitted birdes if run to hot on output...but if that thing has been modded...hard telling what she will do...I had a Pacemaker(stock)...on 15 and 10 mtr's it had output on several frequencies in both bands...
So just saying...need to look at the Spectrum on the scope and watch for Spikes...other than the fundamental.
All the Best
Gary
I think someone wanting this would 90% likely to be on 80m.
This one has stock crystals and lived on the ham bands so it wasn't butchered for 11m.

If I start recapping and putting these on a dummy load, the price would increase.
I just want someone that cares about these to do that.

I think the birdies are gonna be the 6146's.
I think you will have to pick neutralizing for 10,15,20 or 80,40,20.
Maybe with 2 finals, this problem is eliminated?

Either way the transmitter is far from being a right-off or "avoid".
Part of the love of radio in an accomplishment. Getting things working right is better than buying it already working.

This unit might be the best sounding radio OTA from 63-78. Who knows.
Unfortunately I have no history of the equipment.
I expect an old timer passed and junior took it to the recycle center.
Its lucky its not at the scrapyard right now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINTER-PRO...-90-Communications-Receiver-RARE/253958899098
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINTER-PROJECT-Johnson-Viking-Pacemaker-Transmitter-Powers-On/253959311157
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WINTER-PROJECT-Heathkit-DX-100-Ham-Radio-Transmitter-Powers-On/253959298477

Make an offer.

I did load it into a dummy load tonight, it makes power but I didn't push my luck and stopped and powered it down.
It will obviously need to be recapped by the new owner before it goes BANG!.
But it did make power and I heard the carrier on my pro III while tuning up.

IMG_3601.JPG

Last edited:
Now have manuals for all the sets.
and the pacemaker comes with the manual, a drawing of some modifications that were done and a copy of "pepping up your pacemaker" that illustrates the extra 6146 final tube mod published in CQ Magazine June 1963 edition.

I tested the 6146 tubes in the DX100 and they are good at 80+% date codes 1956

IMG_3626.JPG
IMG_3627.JPG
IMG_3628.JPG
IMG_3629.JPG
IMG_3630.JPG

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.