• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bonding results after 6 years

On top only. Bare metal to metal contact between strap and frame, doors etc. Then mold the sealant over the top and around the joint, then clear coat. Or paint then clear coat. I put nylon braid around the strap and heat shrink tube both sides to seal it. Looks good and keeps the strap like new as well. I will post pics after work so you can see what i am talking about

Im looking forward to your method. Getting too old to crawl under truck.

Here is one of my front door straps. Its hard to tell from the picture but its a 1" tinned braided ground strap, flexible nylon around it for protection, heat shrink seals the nylon on and waterproofs the ends. You can see the bare metal is shiny and new. Thats a three year old connection. I didnt cover the screw head so if i have to take it off for some reason i can get to it. Under the coax seal is a stainless steel star washer and screw. Painted the screw head for double protection against rust. My mobile is a suburban so all these parts are rf bonded. Doors to body, front fenders to body, hood to body, body to frame on all 4 corners and in the middle (so three on each side of the truck) exhaust to frame, engine to frame and finaly computer to frame.

Attachments

• 20210927_160059.jpg
    20210927_160059.jpg
    842.5 KB · Views: 16
We use Tef-Gel on bolts on the antenna flanges for the Marine TV antennas we produce where I work in Tampa. Stainless bolts in an AlMag alloy flange, dissimilar metals, the Tef-Gel has Teflon and keeps the bolts from galding in the threads of the flange. Salt Water proof.

Last edited:
We use Tef-Gel on bolts on the antenna flanges for the Marine TV antennas we produce where I work. Stainless bolts in an AlMag alloy flange, dissimilar metals, the Tef-Gel has Teflon and keeps the bolts from galding in the threads of the flange. Salt Water proof.
Teflon is commonly used as an insulator, so I would doubt it would be a great product to use for bonding. As always, I could be wrong.

per web site:
https://tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor

Tef-Gel does not electrically insulate hardware. The PTFE (40%) is ultra fine powder that will extrude out of the contact area and into the voids of the surrounding areas.

Tef-Gel applied between electrical contacts and connectors does not increase the resistance of the connections even at hundreds of amps, maintaining the integrity of EMI shielding.

per web site:
https://tefgel.com/contain.php?param=tefgel_infor

Tef-Gel does not electrically insulate hardware. The PTFE (40%) is ultra fine powder that will extrude out of the contact area and into the voids of the surrounding areas.

Tef-Gel applied between electrical contacts and connectors does not increase the resistance of the connections even at hundreds of amps, maintaining the integrity of EMI shielding.
There are many products that include zinc and they claim it increases conductivity, while study's show the opposite. I looked around for 30 minutes and could find zero electrical testing performed on the product. If I got it for free I'd probably smear it over the screw after assembly, but I don't see myself buying it solely for contacts knowing there are products available that were designed for that use.

Reactions: Slowmover
This is the method I use to connect the grounding strap to the car body.

Cut the braid to the proper length and solder a ring terminal to each end.

Clean the area on the car body (both sides) where the strap is to be connected with sandpaper and/or a small wire brush on an electric drill. Wipe the area clean with PREP-SOL or a similar degreasing solvent. Clean the ring terminals too.

Apply some LOCTITE/ABLESTICK #2902 high silver content conductive epoxy to the area on the vehicle and the ring terminal. Secure the ring terminal to the vehicle with a self-drilling stainless steel screw.

After the epoxy dries, cover the epoxy/ring terminal/screw head with 3M #800 Industrial Sealant ( 3M part # 70105 ) Also, cover the drill tip end of the screw with sealant if it extends through the body metal.

I've used this method for years. Probably overkill, but it works and LASTS.
Get 3M sealant at Home Depot. Most Locite dealers will have the 2902 epoxy.

ablestick.png scotch.png

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.