• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Boom length?

Broke Spoke

KN4JQP
Mar 26, 2012
Deatsville, AL
Hi everyone. I'm still looking for a beam. My question is about boom length. I compared a Maco 3 element to a Gizmo 3 element and noticed this... Maco boom length is 11.5 ft with 11db gain... Gizmo boom length ia 9 ft with 12 db gain. Both beams have a 25db front to back. Question is, longer boom length not always better? Or is it more of a design aspect? Thanks for any replies. 73s

Gizmotchy beams are made for gain and not so much FB. I have a 5 element Gizmotchy that i converted to a long boom 5 element. It is 25' long and i used Maco element spacing. It improved the F to B but i lost a tad of forward gain but i'm more concerned about F to B than gain.

Hello,

What one should remember is boom length equals gain.
Not the number of elements.
With that said does one notice a sligth advantage in "more" boom length" ...no.

If one doubles the boom length you roughly add just below 3 dB (2,7 approx)

If one increases the number of elements on the same boom, one can expect a bit higher impedance and a wider FB/FS/SWR band width.

The maximum gain you could expect from a 9 foot boom is in the region of 8 dBI
The maxium gain from a 11,5 foot boom is in the region of: 8,4dBI
(maco does however 7,5dBI : Maco M103C)

Now, we didnt calculated the 3el gizmotchy's yet.
But what i do know, is: some gizmotchy models have already been "verified" and were found to be ....lets say...less accurate.

In favour of the maco, though the 7,5dBI migth look "not mutch"...the overall pattern is certainly good enough to compete with most on todays market.
Of course there are "better"...but isnt that just almost always the case hihi.

I hope it was of help,

Kind regards,

Henry HPSD 19sd348
All about antennas

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks guys. Room for a beam is no issue but wind gusts are. I do want a dual polarity antenna. I believe I will go with a Maco comet or shooting star. The comparison between Macos and Gizmos boom lenghts confused me a little. Thanks again. 73s

Thanks guys. Room for a beam is no issue but wind gusts are. I do want a dual polarity antenna. I believe I will go with a Maco comet or shooting star. The comparison between Macos and Gizmos boom lenghts confused me a little. Thanks again. 73s

Set up a Maco 103 Horizontal and A-99 or Sirio Gain Master for Vertical on the same mast just inches above the Yagi :w00t:

My 2 Pesos
Tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.