• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bought a $50 Galaxy 949DX from a pawn shop...

doffo

Oct 14, 2012
Decided to go on a pawn shop hunt for miscellaneous electronics, and to my amazement there was a Galaxy 949DX, one of the 2004 models. Looks like someone changed out the knob for a Unident Grant knob. I bought it for $50 and took it home. Now the crappy part is that for some reason none of the channels were working.. You could hear stuff on 27.385mhz (CH.38) for about 6 channels over! I knew something wasnt right, so I took the radio's covers off....

Yep, someone tried to do a clarifier mod and failed. They also attempted a channel mod, but taped off the wires and only one of the two were connected back. So to me it looks like someone half-assed swapped the covers, tried to remove whatever wires/mods they did, and closed it all up and sold it to the pawn shop. Then you have guys like me who buy it.... :p

Either way, there are some short traces burnt off because im sure the guy used too hot of a soldering iron. I have a 10 watt radioshack iron that works well. Ordered R113's 47 ohm carbon resistor and D68 and D38's 1n4148 diodes that are next to one another. Already repaired the cut trace he did near the PLL I believe. The frequency came alot closer once I closed up the two cut yellow and grey wires to the channel selector, but im sure once I put back the stock parts and repair traces, then things are hopefully spot on... I am HOPING he didn't adjust the three pots! They don't look to be altered, so I think he attempted the mod and screwed up by not realizing you have to adjust the pots again after the mod.

I will report back another day to see if I fix up the radio. Shes in pretty good shape cosmetically. Will also have pics later. :)

Galaxy 949 Pics Before

Ugh, tried to upload pictures, but no luck, ill try another time.

how to

I had the same problem . so I went to image on google and the board for 949dx and how to peak it out .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.