• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Bought a racing-style headset mic for my HT

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I go to NASCAR races every year. During the season, I even go to the local Saturday night NASCAR sanctioned races here at Irwindale Speedway. I've used an old Radio shack racing-style headset for years that I wired up for a Kenwood, Baofeng, etc. radio to use as a race scanner. This year I decided that I wanted to be able to talk on the local repeater while at the races to give some play-by-play to those interested. So I bought a new noise cancelling headset on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B09NJL66QF
It's plug and play with these radios with the PTT on the top of an ear can. At a loud race track like a NASCA Cup race, the mic gain on a lot of the Chinese radios (Baofeng, Wouxon, Quansheng, etc.) cannot be adjusted low enough, if at all to deal with the sound of the race traffic. But with the Kenwood TH-D74, you can adjust the radio settings enough to talk with this mic unless the cars are right in front of you blasting noise. The manufacturer claims noise cancelling spec is 24db, which is the same as a true Kenwood headset that is a 3x the price. I think this would work pretty well in a lot of typical noisy industrial environments, too. BTW, the headset isn't really carbon fiber; it's just made to look cool like that. I saw a review on Amazon that said the sound was low, but I didn't have that problem. Mine is plenty loud to use as a race scanner all day or listen to the knuckle-heads on the repeater.

I figured someone else might want to know if a product at this price-point actually was worth it, and I think the answer is YES.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.