• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

bought an SWR meter

megatron

Aug 18, 2008
Cincinnati
i got one.. took it out of the box screwed the antenna where it goes
and i flipped the power on and move the lever onto swr and nothing
so i took it back what am i doing wrong

74IN none came with the meter.. i'm going to pick up one at R&L for $10 and a cable
for 3

First question I gotta ask is.....

Will this SWR meter be for a (100 watt) ham transceiver, or (5 watt) CB radio.....?

In either application you get what you pay for, you might get away with a 10 dollar meter for a stock CB, but if you need it for an amateur radio the meter shouldn't cost you any less than $60.00, and the better one's will run you closer to $150.00 or more. If you are running more than legal limit power through a CB, the same applies.

Second question.....
Was it a cross needle meter, or single needle meter.....?
With a cross needle arrangement there's no calabration required, but with a single needle meter you have to set the meter to "CAL" (calabrate) key the mic and adjust it so the needle sets to the calabration mark on the meter scale, then set the meter to SWR and key the mic again to determine what your SWR is.

The same "you get what you pay for" rule applies to your coax too, don't get me wrong here because I'm the king of cheap, but there is a difference between those pre made Radio Shack RG-8X jumpers, and one made with a good quality RG-213 or 9913 wire and Amphenol PL-259's.....

Disclaimer....
Not knowning what your level of expertise is with the radio hoby, I'am not trying to be insulting here, I'm trying to be helpful, so please don't take any of what I ask or say as an insult to your intelligence......

First question I gotta ask is.....

Will this SWR meter be for a (100 watt) ham transceiver, or (5 watt) CB radio.....?

In either application you get what you pay for, you might get away with a 10 dollar meter for a stock CB, but if you need it for an amateur radio the meter shouldn't cost you any less than $60.00, and the better one's will run you closer to $150.00 or more. If you are running more than legal limit power through a CB, the same applies.

Second question.....
Was it a cross needle meter, or single needle meter.....?
With a cross needle arrangement there's no calabration required, but with a single needle meter you have to set the meter to "CAL" (calabrate) key the mic and adjust it so the needle sets to the calabration mark on the meter scale, then set the meter to SWR and key the mic again to determine what your SWR is.

The same "you get what you pay for" rule applies to your coax too, don't get me wrong here because I'm the king of cheap, but there is a difference between those pre made Radio Shack RG-8X jumpers, and one made with a good quality RG-213 or 9913 wire and Amphenol PL-259's.....

Disclaimer....
Not knowning what your level of expertise is with the radio hoby, I'am not trying to be insulting here, I'm trying to be helpful, so please don't take any of what I ask or say as an insult to your intelligence......

it had a single needle.. i'm not don't worry,m with me getting a midland radio
that meter for $10 and the cable for $3 wasn't bad, so next month i'll pick it up

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.