1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

BPHS1 Broadcast Headset (AUDIO-TECHNICA)

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by unit_399, Jul 22, 2012.

1. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

I recently purchased an AUDIO-TECHNICA BPHS1 Broadcast Headset for use on my base station.

atech_bphs1_1s.png

I decided on a microphone/headset combo because it freed up my hands to make logbook entries as I talk. In addition, it permits me to move around and yet maintain the same relative position between the microphone and my mouth for more consistent audio. You can't do this with a desk or boom-mounted mike. I chose this particular unit because it is lightweight and very comfortable. The earmuffs seal well around my ears and block out the noise to the point that I can copy weak signals more easily. The mike element is a moving-coil dynamic which does not require "phantom power". I consider this a big plus. Also, the air checks I've made show that the mike's frequency response curve is a good match with the tone of my voice, and now my transmitted audio has a fuller, clearer , more robust sound.
    From a mechanical standpoint, the unit is well constructed and durable. It has a 10' long heavy duty cable. The BPHS1 retails for $199, but I found this one NIB on Ebay for $100 (free shipping).

Here are the specs:
    http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/89120bd665600348/0001_0277_00_bphs1_xf4_ss.pdf

I've used it for a couple of weeks, and I'm completely satisfied with it. 73s

- 399 J.J.

NOTE: The mike element is balanced and has an XLR connector, which required a balanced-to-unbalanced transformer to match up with my transceiver. Be sure to buy a HIGH QUALITY transformer, 'cause a cheap one will make your audio sound like S**T.

Beetle, 2RT307 and tecnicoloco like this.

2. Robb

Robb Yup

How are you keying it?

Have any audio recordings?

3. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

I made an interface box with a keyup button. Din plug goes to the transceiver, headset mike plugs into the phono jack.

keyup boxpng.png

Here's a videogate that my friend Johnnie (Island0860) in the Dominican Republic recorded yesterday. About a 1000 mile hookup. Stock Realistic TRC457 pushing 100W into my 2 element quad.
    73s

399 JJ Medillin Columbia to the Cominican Republic 2 - YouTube

4. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Very Nice JJ!
    And good score on the price as well, I look forward to hearing you on the air soon.

Jeff

5. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Really nice review JJ, even if I am late to the party. The audio has some good punch to it, so I am sure you make a lot of contacts.

To update things, how do you like it after all this time, and how is it holding up?

Brett

6. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

2RT307 -

It's been exactly three years since I purchased the AUDIO-TECHNICA headset, and I've had absolutely no problems with it. I had to replace the cord on the keyup box I made, because it was picking up some stray rf in my shack and occasionally added a slight squeal to my transmitted audio. Other than that, I'm still totally satisfied with its performance. 73s.

- JJ (unit 399)

2RT307 likes this.
  7. 2RT307

2RT307 Sr. Member

Well the timing was purely coincidental! Glad to hear it is still working well for you. I'm considering adding one to the shack for the same reasons you originally purchased yours. Thanks again for the review and update.

Brett

8. Onelasttime

Onelasttime Well-Known Member

How do they compare to classic's like DC's or older Telex Aviation headsets?

9. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Sr. Member

Another good one is the Koss SB40. $40 at Best Buy.