• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Brand new Kl203p locks up on TX

Skywalker735

May 25, 2022
Set up a mobile in my pickup. I decided on the president Mckinlay radio and a kl203p. I saw several videos where these were an ideal match because you can turn down the RF power output. For reference I’m also running the stryker SRA-10 mag mount antenna. I had the radio installed for about a week while waiting for the amp and gathering supplies to install. The radio works great. I finally got everything installed last night. Today was test day as I had a long drive. I adjusted the power down to 1/3 or so and keyed up to test. Everything seemed fine until I released the key and my receive was gone. I turned off the kl203 and it came back. Something is sticking. Upon further troubleshooting when this happens the antenna stays lit blue like I’m transmitting. What’s going on??

I'm not technical but I had a Maverick tube type that did that because of a sticking relay, but it was old.
I'm watching to hopefully learn for those who do know.

I have the same radio and 203 and I will say it’s the relay. I am assuming you were on AM and not sideband. That would be one hellava delay on SSB. When you key and release you can’t hear the relay click?

Ok fellas, can a sticky relay be fixed or just change it out?

I didn’t notice a relay click. Would I have to listen to the 203 itself? The radio seems to work fine until I release the key then silence. I double checked all the power and RF.

I didn’t notice a relay click. Would I have to listen to the 203 itself? The radio seems to work fine until I release the key then silence. I double checked all the power and RF.
Also it does the same thing ssb or am. I may just try to get a replacement as it is fresh out of the box.

Need more information. How did you install (feed/ground) the amp? What size jumper? What does your watt meter say the radio is doing dead key and peak? Do you have another small amplifier you can put in-line or can you run the 203 on a base to see if it works there?

Need more information. How did you install (feed/ground) the amp? What size jumper? What does your watt meter say the radio is doing dead key and peak? Do you have another small amplifier you can put in-line or can you run the 203 on a base to see if it works there?
Power is straight to battery terminals with 10A inline fuse battery side. Running a 3ft rg8x jumper. I don’t have a good power meter. I would like to test on my base however it’s an older cobra 142 gtl and I’m not sure what it’s putting out, don’t want to damage the 203.

Power is straight to battery terminals with 10A inline fuse battery side. Running a 3ft rg8x jumper. I don’t have a good power meter. I would like to test on my base however it’s an older cobra 142 gtl and I’m not sure what it’s putting out, don’t want to damage the 203.
The power is 12awg wire 8-9 ft. Seems to be debate on whether to ground to the body/floor or batt.

Set up a mobile in my pickup. I decided on the president Mckinlay radio and a kl203p. I saw several videos where these were an ideal match because you can turn down the RF power output. For reference I’m also running the stryker SRA-10 mag mount antenna. I had the radio installed for about a week while waiting for the amp and gathering supplies to install. The radio works great. I finally got everything installed last night. Today was test day as I had a long drive. I adjusted the power down to 1/3 or so and keyed up to test. Everything seemed fine until I released the key and my receive was gone. I turned off the kl203 and it came back. Something is sticking. Upon further troubleshooting when this happens the antenna stays lit blue like I’m transmitting. What’s going on??
Word is in the Facebook CB rooms is that if it's the red 203 and you bought it on amazon its a knockoff, its not the real kl203. Amazon has since removed them...

Possible to have a cheesy coax and stray RF is bouncing around in the vehicle. Just for poops and giggles you can try looping the jumper and the antenna coax through RF beads.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.