• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Mark 3

Ratfink

Sep 28, 2011
Oklahoma
I recently picked up a set of eagles and I guess I'll be recapping the transmitter I plugged it in and poof and It was expected because the last owner said they sat for 20+ years . Do we have any browning guru's? I'd like to know some things that are common issues and things that are upgradable within reason it has been modded for channels not using the vfo which did not get with the sale.
Any help is appreciated thanks your dirty rat

I recently picked up a set of eagles and I guess I'll be recapping the transmitter I plugged it in and poof and It was expected because the last owner said they sat for 20+ years . Do we have any browning guru's? I'd like to know some things that are common issues and things that are upgradable within reason it has been modded for channels not using the vfo which did not get with the sale.
Any help is appreciated thanks your dirty rat

Classic example of why you NEVER just plug-in-and-hit-the-switch when dealing with older electronic gear that has sat idle for years especially gear with high voltage like tube gear.I can't believe you did that when you even expected it to happen. When those caps go POP! they can easily cause other components to fail as well. You should always bring the voltage up slowly while monitoring the current draw. A variac is a worthwhile investment for anyone using/working on tube gear. I always use one when powering up old gear. It is rated for 5 amps but serves quite well.

Do we have any browning guru's?

2-0 is the man when it comes to Brownings!

Text me if you want his number!

Classic example of why you NEVER just plug-in-and-hit-the-switch when dealing with older electronic gear that has sat idle for years especially gear with high voltage like tube gear.I can't believe you did that when you even expected it to happen. When those caps go POP! they can easily cause other components to fail as well. You should always bring the voltage up slowly while monitoring the current draw. A variac is a worthwhile investment for anyone using/working on tube gear. I always use one when powering up old gear. It is rated for 5 amps but serves quite well.

Well I didn't have one and don't use alot of old stuff I mean if I killed these radios I'm only out 175.00 I'm not complaining.

browning mark III

A good and simple way to power up the old tube stuff is with a light bulb.
Start out with a 40 watt bulb and leave it for about one day.
Then you go to a 75 watt bulb for a couple of days.
Then go to a 100 watt bulb or what ever is needed to bring the mains voltage up to about 100 vac for about one day.
This will be long enough for the electrolyte in the 'lytics to reform if it is going to.
If it don't and it shorts out or starts to draw excessive current then the light bulb lights up full brightness, but no harm done.
If it don't reform and does not short out then after you have given this radio this treatment then it will be safe to apply full mains voltage with no damage and then you can evaluate if the 'lytics need to be replaced anyway.
The light bulb will act like a fuse (saftey device), a dynamic resistor and a relative indicator.
If there are any questions regarding this then please ask.
I have not fully explained all of the details as of yet.
But this is sufficient to get you started if you are comfortable with the concept.
Problem with the VARIAC is: 1) you gotta have one, 2) if something decides to go south then you don't have enough time to turn the knob down to reduce the voltage for the purpose of limiting the current to a safe and non-damaging amount.

I have a Browning Golden Eagle Mark III. I had Barkett Electronics go through mine, they did a great job. I have the 180 also I need to send it. I hope you get them up and going

They have been up and going for a while a friend went through them and did a great job although ill need a switch and another smaller cap to shorten my ping its a bit long the local drivers don't seem to like it lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.