• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning Mark 4A transmitter. The gift that keeps on giving.

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
This Browning Mark 4A transmitter pulled me down the rabbit hole. It just would not give me the correct channel frequency. Replaced the 8-Volt regulator chip that runs the PLL. Didn't fix the fault, but the faint hum on the transmit carrier is now gone.

There is a CD4008 4-bit adder chip between the microcontroller (CPU) and the PLL chip. Changed that, now I get different wrong frequencies. Changed the MC145106 PLL chip. No change.

This left me with one remaining part to blame. The TMS1022 microcontroller that runs the channel digits, selector knob and feeds the binary code to the PLL.

This part costs a better part of a hundred bucks shipped. But if that's what it needs, no substitutes exist. The programming in this integrated circuit can't be changed. No "erase and flash" chips existed in 1978.

Gently pulled it out of the socket. Bad news. Eight pins have rotted through enough to fall off. Not good. Is there a word for "octaplegic"?

3YMP6n.jpg

Even if this part is in fact working like it should, there's a problem getting it connected to the radio with eight pins missing.

Tried a spare TMS1022, didn't change a thing. Looks like the chip with the eight broken legs was okay before the stress of removal.

But hey, found the problem and now it works with the expensive replacement chip. A previous 'extra' channel expansion had been botched, and that was the root of the fault. But what about the factory chip? The pins are silver plated. Texas Instruments did this to reduce the heat needed to solder the pins. But this radio puts it into a socket. Exposed silver will tarnish. Tarnish is not a good electrical conductor. I suspect there is some chemical interaction that made the broken pins fall off. Good thing it's only eight of them. Gonna try an octaplegic wheelchair, so to speak.

pWuiGx.jpg

This 28-pin socket has what they call "machine-tool" pins. Gets a good grip on a #24 wire and requires very little force to insert the chip.

Gotta tin the remaining "shoulders" where the pins fell off. Will require some flux. This liquid flux should do the job.

R8fqsG.jpg

With any luck the heat needed to tin these surfaces won't cause internal chip damage.

5zuPer.jpg

Seems to solder up okay on this side.

om84pl.jpg

And this side.

56dqoG.jpg

Once it's in place, we get all the correct 40 channel frequencies where they should be.

WQaZac.jpg

And yes, that's a 1978 date code on the TMS1022.

Was this quirky trick worth the price of that 95-dollar chip? Just couldn't bring myself to throw it away if the old one would still work.

It's not a ROM. It's a microcontroller, circa 1978. Same chip was used in Texas Instruments pocket calculators of the day. The Cobra 2000 clock/counter module has a variant of the TMS1000 chip that does the arithmetic to calculate and display the channel frequency. But the program storage is part of the photomask used to etch its circuit patterns. A replacement or substitute would have to be engineered from scratch, more or less. And getting the original vendor to make another batch would be like persuading GM to make you a fresh 1957 SS Impala.

Reactions: NZ8N
It's not a ROM. It's a microcontroller, circa 1978. Same chip was used in Texas Instruments pocket calculators of the day. The Cobra 2000 clock/counter module has a variant of the TMS1000 chip that does the arithmetic to calculate and display the channel frequency. But the program storage is part of the photomask used to etch its circuit patterns. A replacement or substitute would have to be engineered from scratch, more or less. And getting the original vendor to make another batch would be like persuading GM to make you a fresh 1957 SS Impala.

Not completely from scratch. I've already done this with a Console V, replacing the M58476 custom chip with an Arduino. So I've got code I could potentially reuse, albeit with some necessary adaptations. Like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer, it's crude but effective.

And, yeah, I can already hear TI laughing as they hang up the phone should I call and ask if they'll whip me up a batch. I'm quite sure the machines that turned these chips out were scrapped a long time ago. Maybe even before they laid off the design engineers.

Maybe even before they laid off the design engineers.
I need to snatch a clip from the old doc "Connections" with James Burke ca1980 or so, showing a bunch of white-shirt engineers with neckties crawling over a paper diagram about 15 by 15 feet on the floor of their building's lobby. Trying to troubleshoot and correct the photomask for a late-1970s processor design.

Persuading an Arduino to spit out binary 91 to 135 along with the 7-segment digit patterns is definitely doable. Not sure I'm up to it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.