• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Browning MK 3 advice

moviking

Nov 24, 2011
Table Rock Lake, Branson mo area
Well, I finially scored a browning mk3 :D

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

I need advice on adding channels (externally only, no drilling allowed ) vfo with freq counter ?

And best amps to match with it, 500 - 1k range

I know this all sounds green, but I've never even had my hands on one (they sounded great back in the 70's though ) and don't want to screw it up.

Hopefully someone here is running a setup like I want to build.

Thanks in advance.

To follow up on this, after I talked to him about it he said it was a 90 - 7 instead on the 90 -3 that the browning mk3 use, and that he didn't use it much and it seemed ok ???

Bidding had got over $125 also, I took a pass.

I have a PAL being built for it with lowers added & a freq counter for just a bit more (y)

Received the radio yesterday, it was very nice looking and working but the mic was a pos (lots of wiring issues & had a cobra hand mic element cobbled up and jury rigged in it) , the ping sounded like a scream & modulation could not be understood.

Wired up a old unpowered D104 to it, all is well......Pinggggg....... (y)

it is time to have some fun pinggg
post pic like to see the pal and browning
that is high for a 90-7 they sale for $50 or less and for less then $5 for the parts you can make it a 90-3

I believe the MK III uses a Siltronix 80-3 or the 90-3 VFO. If you want to tinker with it, I've a 90-1 that's in good shape I will let go for $40 + shipping.

Whatever you do, do NOT hook that old bird up to a solid state amp. Keep it all glass.

Which amp? If you can lay your hands on the Browning 180 amp that would be the ideal match. Want more power? Look for an old Firebird or Kicker. Late-model D&A amps (tan case) will complement the radio nicely.

Great find, enjoy it!

i have 3 browning mark 3s and 1 4a my mark 3s dead key about 3 3 1/2 amd mod 25-30 i have a glenn slider and several model 90 vfos my tech can modify the model 90 so it only drifts on warm up after that pretty much stays the same the problem with the brownings is getting the transmitter not to fall off so much from the top of the band to the bottom another words it dont want to widen up enoughto cover the whole band if u get it to go 20 below and 20 above with deacent ket u would do good but theres not another radio ever been belt that has the reciever filthering and bleedover rejection that this unit has they are wonderful set up right

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.