• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Budget Base Antenna

22racer

Jan 9, 2013
Desert, AZ
So I have a large HVAC unit on top of my house. How effective could it be to put a magnet mount moble type antenna on top of that big square box?? If so, Would I need to use a different coax since the length would be much longer?

THX

Would it 'work'? Most likely it would. You would have to make the feed line long enough to get to the radio, and I would certainly keep the impedance of that feed line the same. After that, depending on the length of the feed line run, I think I'd just stick to whatever coax you happen to have, or can reasonably get.
How well would that antenna work on top of that A/C? Bets me, probably as well as it would on a car.
- 'Doc

Noise off the ac compressor motor is likely to be your biggest problem.
Only way to find out is to chuck an antenna up there. Re coax. Buy the best you can for your budget. Lower loss the better.

Psi

Once you get to a certain quality of coax I wouldn't worry to much about coax loss. I would go with at least RG-8X or anything more expensive. Unless your pushing 100 to 150 feet or more, at which point I would step up to RG-213 for a minimum. If you start going seriously further than that then the best coax you can get.

And for putting an antenna on an HVAC unit, you are likely talking more noise than a car, along with less shielding than a car. If you have an extra antenna (or someone has one you can borrow) throw it up there and see how well it works for yourself. It is one of those I can't say for sure it will pick up a lot of noise, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did situations.

The DB

Reactions: 1 person
So I have a large HVAC unit on top of my house. How effective could it be to put a magnet mount moble type antenna on top of that big square box?? If so, Would I need to use a different coax since the length would be much longer?

THX

it will work.. however the question is how good. if funds are low try it see what happens
if you have it off and unplugged shouldnt get any noise from it. but if its on
that could be another story.for coax if ya have enough with the magnet mount
just use it. if not get a barrel connector and get 3,6,9 ft extra what lenth it takes
to go from point a to point b.. if adont have a place locally to do this go to
either palco.com or copper.com .when funds allow get a sirio m-400 base antenna this
is a great antenna dollar for dollar. under 100.00 its hard to beat

If you don't have height restrictions or anything just pony up for a Solarcon A99. Should cost you around $85 shipped or so, or even find one used on craigslist for less.

Cheap and will work better than a mag mount for sure. A dipole in a tree is easy as well.

Reactions: 1 person
I've done it, and it worked great,

right until the compressor kicked in. screwed up receive and broadcast.

try to find something else metal to attach the antenna to.many years ago
at my first apartment i used a metal folding chair. sure it wasnt great
but it worked fine about 7-10 miles.when i was done i brought it back into
the apartment.no one ever knew lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.