• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Build a antenna wire slingshot for $20

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
The thanks for this project goes to Happy_Hamer...it was his idea. I built this several years ago and have used it so much, I thought others would like the info. HRO sells the EZHang slingshot for $89. You can build one for $20 with parts from Walmart.

It's pretty self explanatory from the pictures below. You can use either a cheap spincast reel (pictured) or a small spinning reel. Walmart has some combo spincast/rod packs for about $10 right now. The slingshot is in the sporting goods section and was $9. Last time I checked, they're still that price. The cheap leather arm strap broke after several uses so I just made one with duct tape. That duct tape has been on there for 3 years now! You might want to buy a couple extra bands while you're there...they tend to rot after sitting around in the garage for about a year.

A couple of small hose clamps secures it, but you could even use heavy duty zip ties. Get a fishing swivel snap and about a 1/2 oz fishing sinker and you're ready to go. Tie the swivel snap on using a Palomar knot. If you don't know how to tie a palomar knot, here's a video from a guy with a funny accent to tell you how:

YouTube - Palomar Knot | how to tie a Palomar Knot

One note is that you probably want to use about 8lb test line or so. Any smaller and you just break it off too much trying to get it situated in the tree. You can probably go a little heavier, but as you go heavier it starts to affect the fight of the wire in the air.

To use it, put the reel in free spool, put the sinker in the pouch, aim the slingshot and fire. It'll probably take you a few tries to get it exactly where you want it in the tree. Let the sinker drop to the ground, then take the sinker off and attach your line to the swivel snap. Reel the line up and over the the tree and back to you. You now have a line you can use to raise and lower antennas.

Attachments

• IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    892.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_3417.JPG
    IMG_3417.JPG
    674.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_3418.JPG
    IMG_3418.JPG
    690.7 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_3419.JPG
    IMG_3419.JPG
    959.2 KB · Views: 322

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated