• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Building skills

W5LZ

Crotchety Old Bastard
Apr 8, 2005
Oklahoma
Just finished building/re-building a radio/computer interface. Finding out that if you don't use a skill you tend to loose that skill. And I can remembering doing this @#$ a while back and thinking, "This stuff ain't that hard at all!". To be truthful about it, it's still not all that difficult, I've just forgotten all the 'tricks' that make it lots easier. Must be the tools, they are kind'a old now. Lots easier when they were newer. Maybe I'd better go gets some 'new' tools?
- 'Doc

I use a Hakko 936 med tip on regular stuff and for the finer /small stiff they have a small/fine tip. ( I use this one for mic tips or those really small switches on an amp that don't like heat or else the plastic melts quick). I also use a thin solder or even a multicore brand depending, like a 63/37 mix.036 inch(it's about a 20 gauge diameter. I myself am looking for a Hotter solder(one that takes alot of heat to get it to the melting point. Maybe just a little short of a torch). I just used the last of what I had, but can't remember were i got it. Took a butane microtorch to get it hot enough for some power strips i did, this had some copper braid on it as well.

The soldering wasn't a problem. Trying to remember where everything went without drawing it out was (yeah, I know just exactly how dumb that is - lol). And since it's been a while since I've 'messed' with any of that stuff, the "what the @#$ did I do with that thingy?" played a big part of it too.
That's the problem with being cheap! Instead of just buying the @#$ thing, you gotta make it. At least twice, THEN you can buy one...
- 'Doc

LOL, been there done that a few times. I know exactly what you mean. Then there is the issue of were did I put that and go out and but another one. So when the bench area is cleaned up, I have 5 of this and 7 of that. LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.