• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Built in SWR meter not calibrating

Wrench

Oct 22, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I have a 2000 GTL I got for parts, but ended up repairing. It works perfectly, except I cannot get the Built in SWR meter to go to calibrate. The switch works, but when I key it to turn the calibration knob, it only moves the needle 1/3 of the way. I am quite sure it was working before I replaced the frequency meter, but don't think that is related.
Any ideas as what to check?:cry:
Thanks.

Are you sure you are putting out enough power to properly calibrate the SWR meter? At any rate, using the internal SWR meter is really a waste of time as internal meters tend to not work very well.

Reactions: 1 person
the radio needs to deadkey 4 watts in order to get that meter over far enough to calibrate .any less and it just may not get there.

the radio needs to deadkey 4 watts in order to get that meter over far enough to calibrate .any less and it just may not get there.

When I read the above, I was looking at notes I took, and the dead key is about 2 watts, swings to 8, which is average. So I got out my soldering iron, again, and started touching up solder joints. I found a couple cold solder joints near the finals, and after touching them up, the calibrate function works. It seems something related to the calibration meter is fed off the backside. That makes sense, because you are measuring the antenna and output section.
The guy I got it from told me the frequency counter was bad, which I got off of a parts radio, and he also said power was low. the power was not low, the solder joints were bad. My PDC 600 read everything as good, even when the SWR meter in the radio was not. I matched the readings from the PDC to the radio meters. Man, what a hassle! By the time I am done with this, I will be a 2000 GTL Expert!

This is almost funny! I found this in search, when I Googled frequency counter not working. This is the SAME EXACT radio in front of me right now! I can tell, because you can see a piece of aluminum duct tape covering two holes in the front, just under the tone and voice lock controls. Also notice that the voice lock is sitting a bit high. I already replaced the counter, and have another front piece, where the holes are. I actually was going to use this one for parts, but fixed it instead of the other one.
If you can't fix it, sell it real cheap on ebay.

Video, showing my 2000, by the guy who sold it to me.....
Cobra 2000 GTL bad frequency counter - YouTube

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.