• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

buying my first short wave receiver?

n00bzor

Aug 8, 2012
Hi, I'm interested in getting a shortwave radio, I've been using a few sites which let you listen on line but you can't listen to the full range of frequencies, often I'll read abut an interesting broadcast and I can't pick up that frequency with the on-line receiver.

So I'm looking to buy one but I don't really know anything about them, I was wondering if this is any good?

Eton G3 Globe Traveller : Amateur & Shortwave Radios : Maplin Electronics

The price seems decent and it says it gets the complete shortwave spectrum, but if I'm spending money would I be better off just going for something like this

Eton Satellite 750 AM/FM/SW/Aircraft Band/SSB Radio with Rotating AM Antenna : Amateur & Shortwave Radios : Maplin Electronics

Though this one doesn't seem to get the full spectrum, which seems odd since it's considerably more expensive. Have I just misunderstood the technical details?

Will both be able to pick up number stations, North Korean propaganda and all that other weird stuff broadcasting on short wave?

Any other recommendations?

Hi, I'm interested in getting a shortwave radio, I've been using a few sites which let you listen on line but you can't listen to the full range of frequencies, often I'll read abut an interesting broadcast and I can't pick up that frequency with the on-line receiver.

So I'm looking to buy one but I don't really know anything about them, I was wondering if this is any good?

Eton G3 Globe Traveller : Amateur & Shortwave Radios : Maplin Electronics

The price seems decent and it says it gets the complete shortwave spectrum, but if I'm spending money would I be better off just going for something like this

Eton Satellite 750 AM/FM/SW/Aircraft Band/SSB Radio with Rotating AM Antenna : Amateur & Shortwave Radios : Maplin Electronics

Though this one doesn't seem to get the full spectrum, which seems odd since it's considerably more expensive. Have I just misunderstood the technical details?

Will both be able to pick up number stations, North Korean propaganda and all that other weird stuff broadcasting on short wave?

Any other recommendations?

The Grundig/Eton Satellite 750 will Cover 100 Khz-30 MHz, this includes longwave, mediumwave and Shortwave.The G3 covers 150 KHz-30 MHZ so the 750 offers a little more coverage.

Do you have a price limit set? You may find more of a selection of new or used receivers from a hobby or amateur radio shop.

Ah, so I had just misunderstood, thanks. As I say, I don't know anything about this sort of stuff.:confused:

Ideally I'd like to spend around £100, but I'm willing to spend more if need be, or if it's good value. The 750 would be my upper limit really.

But the 750 doesn't really seem to have that much more coverage, though given the price I'm guessing it's a superior radio generally. The coverage on the g3 looks fine, but does anyone know if I can expect a decent signal with the G3?

Also one the on-line receiver I've been using (http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/ if anyone is interested) I've noticed I often have change the bandwidth to get a decent signal, I'm guessing all radios have that ability, or is that something I need to check before buying?

Last edited:
Much of your answer can be derived by working backwards from the antenna end. If your objective is to have a large outdoor antenna to enhance reception then you'll be better off with something like the 750. The G3 is a fine radio and will likely serve you well but if you want to enhance its antenna you'll need to limit yourself to 20-30 ft or less of random wire. Much more than that and you'll overload the front end of the receiver and reception will suffer. Most of the small portables have a similar limitation.

FWIW I have a G4 and an S450 DLX (the 750 is a bit beyond my budget). I like my G4 and it travels with me often but I have to confess that it lacks a proper radio "feel" for me. Punching a bunch of small buttons really doesn't satisfy - I like big tuning knobs so I got the 450. I love it. I bought it an SSB adapter and hooked it up to 100 foot longwire and it does very well.

So give thought to how and where you're going to use the radio and your requirements will become more evident. From there, the choices are easier.

Hope you enjoy whatever you end up with - it IS good fun.

I'd look hard for a good, working Hallicrafters, National, Hammarlund (i.e. old) desk top, tube receiver, or one of the newer SW receivers from Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood. The little ones from Eton, Grundig, Sangean, etc. can be surprisingly versatile, but they are little more than toys.

Reactions: 1 person
I'd look hard for a good, working Hallicrafters, National, Hammarlund (i.e. old) desk top, tube receiver, or one of the newer SW receivers from Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood. The little ones from Eton, Grundig, Sangean, etc. can be surprisingly versatile, but they are little more than toys.

I wholeheartedly agree Pat. We old timer SWL'ers remember when the GOOD SW radios were made versus the radios that simply cover the shortwave bands like the ones made today. Even an older Kenwood R-1000 is a no frills receiver that is very good. I have had one for about 25 years or more and will always keep it. The Icom R70 series is another good product.

I wholeheartedly agree Pat. We old timer SWL'ers remember when the GOOD SW radios were made versus the radios that simply cover the shortwave bands like the ones made today. Even an older Kenwood R-1000 is a no frills receiver that is very good. I have had one for about 25 years or more and will always keep it. The Icom R70 series is another good product.

I've seen the Kenwood r-2000 very cheap on eBay, I might get one.

I have hummurlund, hellicrafters receivers they are amazing.

I have yet to play with a new digital swl that rx as good as tube

I have a Degen DE1103 it is very good for the price. The R71A icoms have come down in price if you look around....it is an excellent radio.

DE1103

aka Kaito 1103 IS an excellent lil radio! They are truly remarkable. What powerhouses. Fun, but bizarre controls- fantastic MW (larger than expected ferrite bar) it is probably the best radio one buy under 400. I wish I had kept mine instead of trading up to a Satellit 750. The lil Kaito was just as good if not better quality.

frog 7 if you can get one..:w00t:

-249843206870433590.jpg

★ Sent from my Droid★

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.