• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Caboverbob late introduction........

Got really busy with some out of state pilot car jobs and some drag racing in Tulsa, started to get a bunch of noise from my led strobes, high pole light and some alternator noise. Installed an inline 40a noise filter and rerouted my coax today. When I powered up I had swr off the chart, even though all of the same components were reused. Had some pizza, checked my coax with a multi meter, and holy crap I'm below 1.5 across the band !

Glad to be back !

Good noise about bad noise, huh?

Hey Cabover Bob, did you get to use your mobile rig?
How does the Sirio perform?
Pretty happy with the Sirio Fighter 5000 so far. It gets used mostly for pilot car work where we're all pretty close, but I have talked 50+ miles on occasion with the Ranger 6300f150 and the Sirio tuned to a 1.3 swr. I bought a Firestick as a backup for on the road, but I can't seem to tune it below a 2.2 swr.

Pretty happy with the Sirio Fighter 5000 so far. It gets used mostly for pilot car work where we're all pretty close, but I have talked 50+ miles on occasion with the Ranger 6300f150 and the Sirio tuned to a 1.3 swr. I bought a Firestick as a backup for on the road, but I can't seem to tune it below a 2.2 swr.
Thanks for the update, Cabover Bob! Good to know about the great performance and tuning of the Sirio(I guess the height of whip is king, just like a side mic radio)(y):)(y)

Reactions: Rwb and Cabover Bob
Well I've been having a bit of dx success lately while running pilot car Sacramento to Houston. Made quite a few contacts all over east of the big river. We run 27.245am and I have to stay there when traveling, was pretty surprised at how much traffic there is there. I will venture up to 27.275 during fuel stops, made a number of contacts there too.

20211108_153427.jpg 20211108_153721.jpg 45 in NC was booming in central Az this morning, and another station in DC yesterday, got great reports on my RCI 6300F150 and Sirio 5000.

I have absolutely zero understanding of how antennas work, and frankly not real interested in the theory, but yesterday n today I was kinda surprised to be talking to DC/Fl and NC with them "behind" me. Most other contacts have been with me facing east, but now made a few facing west. My reason for being surprised is because of my antenna placement in relation to my required sign, I will try to post pics.

Antenna mount is bonded to cab and headache rack, and headache rack to bed. Sign is aluminum with mild steel frame and probably has some continuity, but no direct bonding.

Well I've been having a bit of dx success lately while running pilot car Sacramento to Houston. Made quite a few contacts all over east of the big river. We run 27.245am and I have to stay there when traveling, was pretty surprised at how much traffic there is there. I will venture up to 27.275 during fuel stops, made a number of contacts there too.

View attachment 48251 View attachment 48252 45 in NC was booming in central Az this morning, and another station in DC yesterday, got great reports on my RCI 6300F150 and Sirio 5000.

I have absolutely zero understanding of how antennas work, and frankly not real interested in the theory, but yesterday n today I was kinda surprised to be talking to DC/Fl and NC with them "behind" me. Most other contacts have been with me facing east, but now made a few facing west. My reason for being surprised is because of my antenna placement in relation to my required sign, I will try to post pics.

Antenna mount is bonded to cab and headache rack, and headache rack to bed. Sign is aluminum with mild steel frame and probably has some continuity, but no direct bonding.
Thanks for the update Cabover Bob(y). Like you, I don’t think it really matters to get lost behind the particulars of antenna theory and science, because all mobile installs are not created equal anyway. As long as you do the best you can with a really good antenna, good cable, good grounding, proper bonding, and proper tuning that’s all it matters (you can’t get performance out of 3’ fiberglass mounted on the edge of the bumper; of course).
Really good to know that the SIRIO does not disappoint(y):)(y):).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.