• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can a home security system interfere w/ Coast Guard communications?

ROYALY LMAO @ QRN the doorbell and dog getting a workout made my wife and I laugh we have a few German Shepherds along with a few smaller ankle biters to slow them down so the big doggys dont have to work to hard (y) Team work I tell ya it just dont get any better.

Here's a follow-up:

A call to the Coast Guard station was answered by a disinterested-sounding woman who confirmed that they have been having problems with a new communications system but didn't know anything beyond that. She took a message but no one ever called back. That seemed to be the end of it until the day after Thanksgiving when someone claiming to be from ADT called and said the Coast Guard had notified them of interference coming from my parents' address as well as that of the next-door neighbors (who also have ADT and whom the caller identified by name). They said they needed to schedule a time for someone to come out to replace all the wireless units in the security system. My mother scheduled them for this Friday. I was suspicious the caller might not be who they said they were, so I had my mom call ADT to verify and they confirmed they had this appointment scheduled. So this appears to be legit. If it isn't, someone is going through an awful lot of trouble to plunder a relatively modest residence.

Nonetheless, I find it incredible that those small, in-home wireless units could be interfering with Coast Guard radio. Granted, the Coast Guard helicopter does pass by while on patrol, but there must be plenty of people living up and down the coast who have the same kind of security set-up. Are they all having to have equipment replaced?

Interesting! I find it just a little hard to believe that a 'small' security device could/would be causing that much trouble. I can certainly understand being 'frugal' in design and construction, but you can be too 'frugal' too. Seems like a company the size of ADT would use better equipment than that, wouldn't you think?
I can also see where interference in any aircraft band would be something to 'clean up', especially for the Coast Guard, or any military aircraft let alone civilian. I'm sort of surprised it wasn't publicized more.
I'd say to really complain about all of it, but I sort of think it wouldn't be necessary. Who ever decided to go with the 'offending' device probably has lost their position, or maybe had to 'assume' the position because of it.
I'm glad you followed it up, thanks.
- 'Doc

Amazing. I'm glad you posted up a follow-up on this one. I never would have believed it, either.

caulkins,
I want to ask a favor. We have had some intermittent or very localized interference from something on 2 meters. Some of it is around commercial areas, some around residential areas. When I've asked about this stuff I get the typical, "It's intermod with your radio.", kind of answer. While I'm sure part of that is probably true, I have a hard time thinking that all of it is. If it was just my radio, why would others have the same problem, and why has it only started recently? That sort of thing.
What I would like to ask is that you document what's happened with your parents. Not necessarily names and specific addresses, but day/time and maybe the name of the people who did the change/installations.
I've asked 'ADT' about maybe their stuff here causing a problem like in California. Of course the response 'poo-pooed' that idea, their stuff always meets FCC requirements. I don't really care who is causing this interference, I just would like for it to stop, you know? Having something 'concrete' to cite would make things easier.
- 'Doc

The interference around commercial areas is a sort of 'given' thing. Happens quite frequently, sort of to be expected. But, in residential areas?

I live in a relatively RF quiet rural area and personally have ADT with the wireless sensors,six in all. My neighbors has ADT as well and has even more sensors,all wireless. I have no RFI problems whatsoever.

QRN,
I don't have any wish to 'accuse' ADT of being the cause of the interference locally. I'm trying to find the source of that interference and ruling out ADT would be a step in that direction. The reply I got from them, basically saying that none of their equipment causes interference and is all FCC type accepted, along with this thread saying that their equipment DID cause interference in at least one instance, just tells me they are trying to shift responcibility to someone else. I would think that they would be happy/eager to show proof that they are NOT interfering with stuff through their fault. I have doubts about the person making the response I got knowing anything about the subject.
'Stuff' happens. Not always the fault of the 'do-er', but still should be corrected, right?
- 'Doc

Oh I am in complete agreement with you Doc. Just because something is FCC approved does not mean that over time something can become unstable and start interfering with something. Chances are the person you were talking to knows nothing about what can and cannot happen with electronic devices. Even the guys that do installations are not techs but are just installers. That simply means that they can follow installation instructions well and know how to use a drill. :D I think the poor fellow that did my installation left rather embarassed after not being able to answer the tech questions I had for him regarding RFI FROM the system as well as TO the system from my ham gear. All he could say was not to worry about it.I told him I would remember that when the police, fire, and EMS show up in my yard the next time I am on the 80m AM net. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.