• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can any 2m/70cm antenna be tuned to GMRS 462MHz?

May 28, 2023
It seems to me that tuning an antenna is just a function of cutting it to length to match the frequency desired, and generally the higher the frequency the shorter the antenna is. So based on that, I’d like to ask: can ANY and ALL 2m/70cm band antennas be shortened to perform well with GMRS on 462MHz?

Do you need to retain the 2 meter and 440 coverage?
440 is already a big chunk of coverage and trying to get GMRS would add about 18MHZ more to the spread. Also, if you want to keep 2M in the mix as well it's going to be asking a lot.

Jeff

Reactions: NZ8N
Do you need to retain the 2 meter and 440 coverage?
440 is already a big chunk of coverage and trying to get GMRS would add about 18MHZ more to the spread. Also, if you want to keep 2M in the mix as well it's going to be asking a lot.

Jeff

No, I don’t need to keep it. This question is just for my general knowledge. No current radio project going on. I just wanted to understand how it works.

The comet SRO 2x4 antenna covers the GMRS and MURS bands. I run a couple of them and they perform well.
Do you mean the Comet CA-2x4SR? They say the SAR means Search And Rescue, which often uses frequencies just outside the 2m/70cm bands. LOTS of SAR members use them as dual purpose antennas. Mine has served me well over many. MANY years.

Reactions: Tom Line
My Diamond V2000a is resonant on GMRS & has far better gain than my GMRS Base antenna. I have not gotten the V2000a back in the air after changing out the coax & repainting the antenna but I have no doubt that it will work far better than the little GMRS Base antenna since it has three times the gain on UHF over that antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.