• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

can i use a "ham" radio on am?

Testing

Rig165,

Well put analogy! I drive my Chevy pickup to do work. I cruise on weekends in a Model A Ford for fun. They both arrive at a given point--just at a slower pace.

King,

The good part of taking the ham tests, it isn't like it is a college entry exam :D If you fail it, study the questions you missed and take it again.............and again if necessary! But, hey, it isn't like it is a life or death thing or something that *must* be passed. It is a hobby. Each time you pass a test, or even fail one, you learn something and gain satisfaction in having mastered something when you DO pass! :) But the tests are not THAT hard. It is up to you, but you'll never know if you don't try for yourself. I failed several times (3) to get the Advanced ticket. I ain't so smart, it was a matter of being determined not to let something "whup" me! :D LOL!

Good luck in whatever you decide on the radio.

CWM

Much like everyone else, I think it's a waste of money for AM use. SSB use, well then now you're talking (albiet talking illegal). On the other hand, if you are currently using an am rig with a linear amp, your just as illegal, so that may not play into it.

You can practice the ham tests online, it's easy to do, and many people just memorize the right answers after awhile. It would be best if you understood the stuff, but there's no law on just memorizing the answers. That will get you on 6m and above.

For hf on ham, you'll need to know morse code. My thoughts on it are here;
http://www.cbgazette.com/nuffsaid_mayjune2005.html

It's not THAT hard to learn, and really, kinda fun...heh-heh..no "Echo Keyers" that I know of out there.

If you aren't happy with the crap they sell today for CB radios, then buy used. Stuff made in the late 70's -80's are still worthy rigs and legal. I'm not necesarily a legal beagle, but more of a purist (CB for CB, ham for ham). And if you still want a ham rig for AM mobile, look used, and I believe many older (albiet larger) Icom rigs sound pretty good on AM. If you just want to be the loudest station-in-the-nation on am mobile. pick up an old tuber like the Johnson silver face, or black face...just don't leave 'em on and drain your battery.

The FCC seems very willing to change when it comes to $$$, for instance, selling out the 3-30Mhz band to BPL, but otherwise not so easy to budge. Good luck with whatever you pick!
-TSG

King,,,
I have a better understanding now....95T verses 706....no brainer,,,,lol....also i have to say go ahead and take the test on line,,,,its free,,,and ya can set your own pace...take it in the morning,,,then in the evening or at night,,,,take it all ya want,,,,when ya fell like you are getting a consistant 85% from all the question pool,,,,then go take it for real,,,,your a shoe in....its not all that hard to achive...hell the no code tech ticket wont take ya a month worth of work,,,,i'll almost bet ya....
I'll go a step further,and make this commitment to you bro,,,if ya want to try that is,,,,if there are things that stump you,,,in theory or whatever,,,,i'll give ya assistance,,as i'm sure others will...

Morse.
i liked your explanation,,truck and model T,,,,I love it....lol
and thats the way it is....

rfpowerman 8)

Hey there..

to start with..

C W Morse
Moleculo

not sure why you guys said what you said at first to him..

riq165
Mud Duck
C W Morse

you guys said some good stuff for him (hey CW MORSE you went both ways..lol)

rfpowerman

you summed it up well..

C W MORSE

Great analagy

Now then King Mudduck ..
i often refer to many operators on 11 meters as Mud Ducks (even good friends of mine)..

it seems most people will likly never get into the better aspects of our radio hobby..
when you had the opertunity to borrow a friends 706 MKIIG it seems you quikly picked up on its better quality..

not just transmitting but also recieving..

many of my friends thought i was CRAZY in having bought the 706 MKIIG while not having a ham licence..
it worked great on am and ssb...
i found it work exellent on SSB..

after about a year and half i desided to get more out of the hobby i needed to get a ham licence..
Good news is itr is very easy to get now with only minimal studying..

oh yes....
2 of my friends who called me nuts also went out and got themselves 706 MKIIG radios...
Plus both stepped up and passed their ham tests..

like me they now love being able to use much more of the radio then just 11 meters (we also used it out of band from 26.815 to 27.555 and on MURS-FRS-GMRS) but never used it in ham bands untill we passed our tests (well my 2ed friend as we speak should have his call within the week)..

So...
originally you asked..
i would say yes indeed..

likly you will start to use it much more on SSB(i dont use am anymore)
then likly will listen in on various repeaters on FM and deside as we did to step up ang get your ticket..
before i had my ticket(same with both my friends) we quickly were glad we spent the money for the Great Icom 706 MKIIG..

there is another thing...
next after the radio at some point comes the antenna bug..

for although the radio is extremly importent..
so is the antenna....the mike (especially on SSB)and the coax

Any other questions...
feel free to ask me..

Icom 706 MKIIG (soon to be replaced by the IC-7000)

Icom SM-20 Desk Power Mike

Jay's Interceptor I-10K

Comet's GP-9 dual banded vertical

Gulf alpha antennas beams

dual polarity 9+9 element 17.5 foot boom for 2 meters
12 element horizontal 12.7 foot boom for 222 mhz / 1.25 meters
16 element for 430-450 mhzhorizontal on 12.5 foot

Andrews heliax LDF5-50A and LDF7-50A

boomwww.rffun.com/catalog/hamhf/0700.htmlicomamerica.com/products/amateur/706mkIIg/www.rigpix.com/accessories/icom_sm20.htmwww.a1antennas.com/www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamants/3899.htmlwww.gulfalphaantennas.com/www.andrew.com/catalog38/cat38viewer.aspx?PageNum=506www.andrew.com/search/docviewer.aspx?docid=4999

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.