• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone explain what's going on here?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Looking at this picture, can someone explain this setup? It seems to me that you would want it configured as a horizontal dipole, or as a vertical. In the second picture, you can see that they don't share a common feedpoint. Can anyone explain the purpose of this configuration, the radiation pattern, and what it is attempting to accomplish?

MVC-773F.JPG

MVC-771F.JPG

Mole',
Making the 'usual' assumptions (meaning no direct experience with the thing), it appears to be a typical multiband (pre-screwdriver) mobile antenna. The big difference that I see is that unlike the usual antenna of this sort, the coils appear to be mounted to a short shaft before being mounted to the adaptor to the lower shaft. No idea why, don't see as it would really make any difference unless the lower shaft can't be made longer for some reason.
It's polarization is vertical even if the two 'loads' are bent over at that angle. The 'angle' won't really make that much difference, at least at HF. It'd 'slew' the radiation pattern a little bit, but it's still omnidirectional. Another affect of the 'tilted' loads is that they would have a little more reaction to 'ground', sort of like a capacitive hat, and the overall length of the antenna would be slightly less than if they were both standing up straight (that's more of a 'reach' than anything, not all that useful).
It appears that the loads aren't connected electrically to the lower mast, from what I can tell from the picture. (Took the picture before finishing the antenna? Beats me. And whats the wire thingy on the one to the right?)
-OR- ... Is this an attempt to to use two complete antennas and just have them mounted higher than normal?? I think that would make more 'sense' than anything else I can think of. It would be like two dipoles connected to a common feed point. They would interact some, but still 'do-able'. Still predominantly vertically polarized. Too lazy to even try to model the thing! Would it work? Ought to. Would it be 'better' than something else? Uh, don't know, what would be the alternatives?
Would I want to drive down the street with that thing on my truck? Naw, I'l stick with the BugCatcher...
- 'Doc

the pair of antennas in the picture could be fed *one of two ways, either as a conventional dipole (V) with the center conductor to one and the shield to the other or both antennas could be fed simultaneously with the center conductor and worked against the ground plane (vehicle and earth) beneath it. including the second antenna, both have distinct advantages.

reminds me of the old firestik v-bar mount.

working from two patents, #6,275,195 and #6,496,154....
http://www.firecommunications.com/patents/hiq/

compare: High-Q Antenna VS. The Screwdriver....
http://www.hiqantennas.com/compare.htm

latest news from High-Q Antennas....
http://www.hiqantennas.com/news.htm

High-Q Antennas Test Lab....
http://www.hiqantennas.com/test-lab.htm

Yeah, I'm familiar with the Hi-Q antennas...I have the 4/80 version on my Jeep. I just don't get what this guy was trying to accomplish by mounting two of 'em in that V configuration. I think that wire that is coming off of the one on the right is the wire to power the motor. I don't think it's wires for a turns counter since I don't see the external reed switch attached.

Doc, Your thoughts are similar to the ones I had, but I figured I might be missing something?? Who knows...maybe I still am??

Mole',
I was under the impression that the two antennas were the usual changable coils for an antenna. Didn't realize that they were 'screwdriver' types. Knowing that, I don't have the slightest idea what 'his' idea is. Maybe wants to get around the time it takes to 're-tune' the thing? Or maybe operates two bands at once? Maybe just wants to show off the bracket at the top of the mast?? Beats me...
- 'Doc

He is going for a V configuration because he is mobile. The installation is not done yet as he has not hooked up the motors or installed feedlines. Other than that, it is a HI-Q dipole setup.

REMARKABLE !! I've always said that I wouldn't get caught driving down the road with a 10K coiled star wars looking antenna on my car ,but something like this V-Look'in thing has got to be the winner hands down !! .....REMARKABLE !! the things guy's will do to get there points across. Could you emagine a 4 element Moonracker on top of a GEO Metro comes to mind !! to each his or her own.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.