• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can you extend a predator antenna by adding another shaft?

Capt Crunch

Captain Crunch NJ Mobile
Nov 3, 2015
New Jersey
www.iamawesome.com
First may I say, happy Labor day. I have a 17-in shaft Predator antenna and I would like to know if I could add on a 9 inch Predator shaft to make it a little longer, for possibly better performance. Thank you.

You can, just be certain it will still be mechanically sound at highway speeds. You will need to retune the longer antenna as your lowest SWR frequency will move downward a bit from where it was after whatever tuning has been done previously.

Not sure what you're looking for in "increased performance", you may or may not see much difference depending on your situation.

Reactions: Capt Crunch
Unless you trying to get it above the cab I don't think it will make a big difference.
And yes, it might be cheaper to call Cale and see what he wants for a real 27 inch shaft.
That's the really good thing about these antennas, you can take them apart easily.
I he don't answer leave a message, he has always called me back.

Jeff

Last edited:
Unless you trying to get it above the cab I don't think it will make a big difference.
And yes, it might be cheaper to call Cale and see what he wants for a real 27 inch shaft.
That's the really good thing about these antennas, you can take them apart easily.
I he don't answer leave a message, he has always called me back.

Jeff
I have the 27" shaft to raise the coil above the roof on my truck.

I have it mounted on the top of a Jeep. I do have the 27-in shaft but it's a couple inches too long around here so I have a 17 inch and a 9 in which is 2 inches shorter but makes a difference driving around and I was just thinking of it because I always hear longer shaft is better.

I have it mounted on the top of a Jeep. I do have the 27-in shaft but it's a couple inches too long around here so I have a 17 inch and a 9 in which is 2 inches shorter but makes a difference driving around and I was just thinking of it because I always hear longer shaft is better.
How would you connect them together? 3/8"-24 NF threads on one end and 1/2"-20 NF threads on the other.

Remove the 3/8"-24 machine screw on the end, use a 3/8"-24 plug tap and tap the hole deeper and then cut the shaft to the required length and install the 3/8" machine screw with Loctite.
Improvise, adapt and overcome!
Good Luck!
Recon USMC '66-'72.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.