• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can you feel the Gain Master is superior in DX ?

RadioDaze

Antenna enquirer
May 11, 2015
Hi there I use 2 vertical antennas a basic 1/2 wave and a Sirio Gain Master. Typical height of poles 4.5 - 6M on relatively high ground 150-200M. I have had some great long DX contacts using both antennas but I think i can just start to feel that things are a little easier with the Gain Master at DX greater than 5,000miles ( in fact many contacts made using the Gain Master at between 6,700 and 7,200 miles compared than the 1/2 wave, which I have done with the 1/2 wave but have seemed to be more quiet, less signal and not cutting through). Not an easy thing to do but it just seems I seem to have a little more poke and am heard quicker on the Gain Master.

Does anyone use various vertical antennas who can "feel" that their Gain Master has got more poke than another vertical they own.. after long use and a feel for conditions. I am aware that conditions can dictate so very much but wondered if any experienced DXers that own Gain Master's feel it has more POKE!

I have been DXing again since about 4 months intensely and made many hundreds of contacts globally. Including 1 QSO with Australia from the UK. I am now getting a feel and I really like the GM. I seem to find I hit contacts at 6,000 - 7,000 miles away especially nicely. (Would that be possible on one F2 layer refraction ?)

Thanks

I ran a gainmaster side by side comparison with a imax 2000 . Set both ants to the same overall height connected with the same type and age cable and had an antenna switch inline. After about a month of testing I sold the imax. The gainmaster had less static on RX and I "felt"the signal was slightly better on the long haul dx 14000km . Local and short haul 1000kms could see no difference in signal apart from the noise level.
Also tried at various times a1/4wave ground plane and a A99 half wave with the same results. The 1/4 wave ,A99 and imax mounted at the same tip height produced identical results with the gainmaster the only stand out winner.

Reactions: Marconi and Mudfoot
My experience is the same as vkrules. In the clear, it has been equal and usually better than any other vertical antenna (consistently up to 2 s-units better than a Starduster or A99). At 30 feet to the feed it beats my moxon at 20 feet on most contacts as well. It just isn't as quiet as the moxon nor does it have the F/B benefit. I would be hard pressed to by anything else.

Thanks guys.. I absolutely add the provisor that DX is massively reliant on conditions so it cannot ever be categorically stated but you kind of feel as you become more experienced. I had one evening out and it could just have been complete coincidence that conditions were exceptional... but I was out working Sporadic E across Europe.

I would call T5 - QSY and then have 2-3 stations coming back at me every single call. That night I was at 7.5 meters high (5 aluminium poles). It was easy peasy working DX. For the very first time I felt like a power station. Good height above soil/vehicles (I am a hill top mobile static station) seems to make this antenna SING.

Also quite sure the GM increases your chances when there is F2 skip and Sporadic at lower charge levels. i.e. weaker skip... it allows you to make the most of what there is and coupled with a nice low QRM spot (no PLT etc.) it can make an otherwise quiet day still worth the effort of the outdoor set up.

Literally call/QSY and have 2-3 stations come back EVERY time that evening. Now it might have been exactly the same using a 1/2 wave over 800-1800 mile short hop but it was incredible.

PS I am very interested what the longest single F2 layer hop estimate could be given a nice low elevation angle.

Thanks again.

I would buy another GM tomorrow if mine broke.

Last edited:
Gain master has better gain but do not trying to run more that 500w through the antenna or it will burn up. Gain master should be made somewhat thicker to run 1500w

Sure, running no where near 500W continuous.

Such a unique antenna - a 5/8 wave dipole - interesting and unusual concept (I have never ever heard of 5/8 wave dipoles before, even conventional ones). Very clever people who designed it, deceptively simple yet well considered design implementations (especially silver plated coaxial cable matching stub, 5/8 wavelength dipole length and RF choke built in)

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.