• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Can you measure your I- Max 2000

I am currently using a MAX2000. I made some changes to it though (see pic). It's been working great. Yes, it's a simple fix and it does work but the fact still remains that the manufacturer should be heald accountable.

Cam, is your fix about 2' feet long?

If so, can you give me the individual measurements for the three original stock sections only?

If you know, what is you new overall length after your fix?

Last edited:
Just measured one the other day that's at least 10 years old. It measured fully assembled from tip to bottom of radiator at exactly 23 ft. 9 inches. Add about a 1/2 to one inch if the SO-239 is included.

adding this to both Imax-2000 stickies:

Hi all,

I'm a new enthusiast to cb after inheriting a bunch of my grandfathers' equipment and found this forum and sticky after having purchased my first base antenna - the "MAX 2000"

I wanted to go ahead and post my measurements for you all and see:
A. What do you think before I put it up?
B. Provide you all a current report of the antenna length.

I purchased mine on 4/13/20 through Wal-mart fulfilled by "Unbeatablesale" HERE.

The year on the base says 2020. Box says "Solarcon Max 2000" "Made in USA"

Max-2000 Measurements:
1. Base from feed-point (which extends about 1/4" past the mount): 95"
2. Mid-section (not including any male threads): 92.125"
3. Top-section (not including any male threads): 94.75"
4. Total Assembled length: 281.875" or ~23.49 feet.

Let me know if there is anything else I should check for the benefit of this thread or if I should be measuring differently.

Thanks all.

Welcome to the forum Sixer612.

IMO, you have the 24' foot original Imax length antenna and I don't think you should have any trouble with the match in the CB range.

Note: that Solarcon use to advise, if the antenna is to be used for the CB band...NO ADJUSTMENT TO THE RINGS IS NECESSARY.

So, let us know how your install and tune works out, and be careful and good luck.

Reactions: Sixer612
It would be interesting if somebody checked the middle section of the shorter max 2000 for continuity to see if they removed the capacitor.

i have not come across the shorter version yet, newest imax round here is the one we recently isolated & that is the old version, it covers your band and ours with low enough vswr to keep average joe happy without moving the rings.

Bob you're right, it would also be interesting if somebody that has a NEW shorter length (<>22') Imax, if they exists, would come forward with any verification for any dimensions, overall length or for the three sections individually.

Seems like the story just fell through a crack in the Earth.

Above, a new guy talked about his new purchase of an Imax, but it was an old style 24' footer and it was the last one for sale at that dealer he used. He gave me some dimensions, about the same as I measured for my old Imax.

As you can see, my IMAX 2000 has a top section made of two parts, one fiberglass and other of stainless steel. Hurricane Maria here in Puerto Rico snapped the last section and I replaced it with a Sigma Eurocom SE HF 360 last section. It screwed perfectly on the IMAX. The SS whip is adjustable, therefore making this IMAX an adjustable one by adjusting the whip.

I bought this Eurocomm several years ago and didn’t like it’s performance.

I have 2 older Imaxs(1 brought 2014, other 2019), the older 1 the top sections lost the metal ferrule, I used the top section of a Shakespeare Big Stick I had, it was 1 1/4" longer than the original Imax top section. SWR now 1.1:2-4 depending on conditionSCB IMAX 26022020.jpg

Interesting thread, this site is always a worthy reference. I have an aging Imax 2000. I have talked all over the world on it, and I have used it on 10, 11, 12, and 15 meters with little to no tuning. Great antenna, and at a feedpoint height of 65-70’, it’s been awesome.

After reading this thread, I am going to go ahead and order it’s replacement. If I get a “short one”, I may try a 102” whip, cut to match my old one’s overall length.

My only concern there may be if the bottom section is shorter I may be messing with the balance of the Antenna. It’s very disappointing that the company that purchased Solarcon changed it.

i also looked at the Sirio Gainmaster 5/8, but I am concerned about the power handling as when on 10M I can legally run legal limit (although my AL-80B doesn’t put out that much power). Even the occasional 1KW might turn the GM 5/8 into a large fuse.

The temptation to homebrew a more stout version of the gainmaster or a copy of the “old” imax is gaining momentum.

On a side note, nice to see Ocean 1 on here. I spoke with him often while working at the Outer Banks a couple years ago.

WR79 Harry in Pennsylvania (aka NB79)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.