• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can't program your Kenwood? Or Wouxun? Or Baofang?

KR6CKT

Jan 4, 2013
(South) Whittier, CA
And are you running Windows 7 or higher?

I was listening in to FIB trying to get his programming cable to work and chimed in around noon. Here's the scenario:

You load up the drivers, load up the software, plug in your transciever of choice - and the software doesn't recognize the cable or the HT. Reloading drivers doesn't work, reloading software doesn't work, and you'll hear "Well, it works for me, so it's got to be you or your computer. Have you checked the comm port? Have you tried reloading the drivers? Have you reloaded the software?" (After you reloaded them 5 times already.) And you feel like a freakin idiot because everyone else doesn't have a problem!

If you're using a cable with the "Promise Controller" chip set, then it may be the cable itself. There were hunreds of tousands of the Promise chipset made with pirated copies. Starting with Windows 7, Windows will not recognize the pirated chipset. To verify if you have this problem, with the cable plugged in, right click on Computer (or My Computer), select Manage. From there, select Device Manager. Look for ports, you should see the cable (chipset) listed there. Double-click it. If it shows Error 10, then it is a no-longer recognized pirated chip and is disabled. (It will work in other platforms as well as Windows XP and earlier...)

I had a Wouxun and Kenwood cable, both stopped working when I updated my computer to Win7 - both had that error 10.

Best solution? You're going to need to replace the cable, so buy one with the FTDI chipset and don't even worry about the Promise Controller chipset. I ordered one of these off of Amazon, plugged it in and it worked the first time. No fuss, no muss. Works with all those Kenwood-esque connected HTs.

And if it still doesn't work, did you verify the comm port? Did you try reloading the drivers? :love: (Or on a Wouxun, verify that the cable is plugged in all the way? It's a tight squeeze...)

In Amazon, search for FTDI Programming Cable. Other radio manufacturers programming cables listed as well. Hope this helps...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.