• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can't run a power mic!

Thank You . . .

First of all, I have never owned the Patriot antenna. But from what I heard from many sources, it isn't a very quality built antenna at all. There have been many complaints from those who have bought/used it. Might want to Google it and not take my word for it. You could probably build your own dipole and it would probably work much better than your Patriot.

A ground plane antenna like a Maco V-58 is both a very popular and inexpensive antenna. The Patriot has no ground plane on it whatsoever. This is a problem. For that reason, it will use the coax as a ground plane/'counterpoise (Google 'counterpoise' and suddenly so much of what I am describing here will suddenly begin to make more sense). Which will lead that transmitted RF right back into the shack when using power and really mess with your radio and amp setup. I consider this a major problem from what you have told me here.

Part of the problem you are having has to do with the fact that your antenna is too close to your radio/amp. You don't want it right above you, and would be best if it was more than a few feet from the building. Get it as high as you can in the air - safely. Watch out for POWER WIRES/POLES! 36 ft high is ideal; but higher won't hurt either. Too low and you will just have the same problems regardless of what antenna you use - especially when using an amp.

Grounding the radio, power supply, and amp should be done by using 'braided grounding wire' - as opposed to using just normal stranded or solid wire. It will need to be connected to a ground rod. If you are close to the house ground rod, you can use that. If you are too far away; then you will need to put another ground rod in - as close to the shack as possible - and link the house ground rod to the new rod. Then attach them both using 10ga solid wire between those two points. Bury that wire between those two points; what you are trying to remove any possibility of a 'ground loop' - which is also important to do. That wire can be regular 10ga stranded wire if it is to be buried. In any event, that is what I can see and what I would do if I was going to run power as you do.

Use a choke coil beneath a ground plane antenna (5 winds of RG-58 coax on a coil form with a 4.25 inch diameter). Not much hope for your Patriot antenna though; even with this choke coil. Otherwise, just run the radio w/o the amp and you can keep using that Patriot. But I wouldn't; that is for sure. Your antenna, its location, and the lack of proper equipment and house grounding are major issues that you face - IMO . . .
Honestly I never thought an antenna could cause this situation. Once pointed out I can understand that RF radiating from an antenna to close could be a problem. But the quality I assumed would be on and only transmit and receive performance. Now is this the problem or a symptom? When using all plastic mics I am able to turn up higher, using plastic mic with wire mesh guard more problems, using Silver Eagle ALL METAL mic the most problem with squealing unusable. What are your thoughts on the new Star Duster? I am really looking to get the most distance local is the Star Duster with it's angled ground planes throwing the signal up in the ionosphere I don't know of a signal falling back down? I have spent more money quickly replacing something I just bought for something better but I can't justify the money I have spent lately so I do need a good deal cause I can't afford the best.

Not much hope for your Patriot antenna though; even with this choke coil. Otherwise, just run the radio w/o the amp and you can keep using that Patriot. But I wouldn't; that is for sure. Your antenna, its location, and the lack of proper equipment and house grounding are major issues that you face - IMO . . .

Honestly I never thought an antenna could cause this situation. Once pointed out I can understand that RF radiating from an antenna to close could be a problem. But the quality I assumed would be on and only transmit and receive performance. Now is this the problem or a symptom? When using all plastic mics I am able to turn up higher, using plastic mic with wire mesh guard more problems, using Silver Eagle ALL METAL mic the most problem with squealing unusable. What are your thoughts on the new Star Duster? I am really looking to get the most distance local is the Star Duster with it's angled ground planes throwing the signal up in the ionosphere I don't know of a signal falling back down? I have spent more money quickly replacing something I just bought for something better but I can't justify the money I have spent lately so I do need a good deal cause I can't afford the best.

I think you continue to fail to realize that the problem is NOT the mic. That is only a symptom of the cause - which is stray RF that is being improperly radiated from your coax due to the fact that the antenna is too close, too low, and unable to efficiently radiate your amp's energy. That RF ends up in the shack and give you feedback, as it doesn't happen when the amp is not on - right?!? As well as no grounding for the radio, amp, and power supply remain. Yet, your insistence that the failure is with the mic. It is just a symptom!

For a start, get those things grounded properly. That doesn't cost that much, and you should have done it anyway if you considered running an amp to begin with. Build a dipole and use that. At least, it will be resonant and cost almost nothing to build. You might need to get some longer coax and move the dipole away from your station too.

Braided ground wire is used because it doesn't allow RF to turn it into a radiator and create a ground loop! Hook that stuff up to your radio, amp, and power supply AND THEN GROUND IT TO THE BUILDING GROUND!

453a2417991c66d36f7ec9cd107e0d09.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem with a 2000 years ago. I found that removing the two prong plug, and using a three prong power cord worked. The Black is hot, white is nuetral, and the green goes to CHASSIS ground. Never had that problem again. You could also try running a wire from chassis ground, to the screw that holds the wall plate on the AC power receptical.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.