• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cap missing, Uniden Washington PC-385AG board.

morseguy

Jun 16, 2013
Earth
Just acquired this radio and noticed that cap C85 missing. It was snipped out. Don't see any of the popular mods mentioning this?

Schematic of radio please. Where is the cap located? Which part of the circuit, transmitter, receiver, or audio?

Last edited:
Just acquired this radio and noticed that cap C85 missing. It was snipped out. Don't see any of the popular mods mentioning this?

C85 is a .0022uf mylar cap connected between the mic input line and ground just before the mic signal enters the mic amp (TR29). It was probably removed to change the freq response to the mic amp. Leaving it out should not cause any problems. You can put it back in just to see if the xmit audio sounds any different. 73s.

C85 is a .0022uf mylar cap connected between the mic input line and ground just before the mic signal enters the mic amp (TR29). It was probably removed to change the freq response to the mic amp. Leaving it out should not cause any problems. You can put it back in just to see if the xmit audio sounds any different. 73s.

Thanks for the info, the schematic I have is not that good, that's why I didn't answer the first reply. I wonder just how removing that cap changes the transmit audio? Maybe more low end?
I plan on restoring it and want to undo some of the mods done.
I think it also the clarifier mod the one that seems popular for many radios with this board. Suppose to give 1kc down, 3 kc up slide. What's the advantage? Does this also work on transmit?
Tnx.

you can check the clarifier mod with a freq counter to see if it was done right. it will track both TX and RX. I do all my SSB radios this way. some people like it and some do not. I would not talk SSB if this mod was not done. at least that is just me. just hook a freq counter to the output and rotate the clarifier keyed up to see if it tracks as you turn it up and down.

I wonder just how removing that cap changes the transmit audio? Maybe more low end?.

C85 is in the circuit to roll off some of the audio's high frequency content. So ... in effect it makes the audio sound more bassy. Removing it will increase the audio bandwidth. Depending on the mic you're using, it may a little brighter or even tinny. It's something you can play around with to get the sound you want from the radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.