• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cape Verde on 11

Blackcat630

Apr 2, 2013
Central Illinois
375px-Cape_Verde_(orthographic_projection).png. 205SD100 Paul on .580 5/9

I spent a week in Cape Verde in 1988. It's a big chunk of rock in the middle of the ocean and not much else. Oh yea, it's hot an humid.

Who did you piss of to deserve that? :laugh: Back in 1983 I spent a month on the mainland in Senegal, mostly in the north where it was HOT and DRY. Never quite made it to the islands but I did get to stand on Pointe del Almadies on the Cape Verde peninsula about 400 miles to the east, the most western point on the African continent.

Who did you piss of to deserve that? :laugh: Back in 1983 I spent a month on the mainland in Senegal, mostly in the north where it was HOT and DRY. Never quite made it to the islands but I did get to stand on Pointe del Almadies on the Cape Verde peninsula about 400 miles to the east, the most western point on the African continent.

That was a Navy gig so I was cordially commanded to attend. I was with the Navy Show band at the time and Cape Verde is where we kicked off our West Africa tour. We couldn't entertain the locals there because they had no safe AC power source in 1988. That's another story in itself. We had to wait to wait a week for the P3 Orion to come back to pick us up. I loved that plane.

We also did a few days in Senegal and most other countries in West Africa. All told it was about two months there and then on to South America for 6 months and another month in the Caribbean.

I had my ham ticket on that trip and while in Zaire met Tom Gregory N4NW operating as 9Q5NW in Zaire. At the time he was the communications officer for the US Embassy in Kinshasa. He had a few of us over to dinner and then turned me loose on his big gun station to be DX for an hour or so operating as 9Q5NW. Best time I ever had on the radio. :)

Reactions: 3 people
Looked up 9Q5NW on QRZ...really interesting stuff. That was before my time on the radio but wish I could've got to work him. At times he averaged 200 QSOs an hour and NOT during a contest. WOW that's efficient and impressive!

That was a Navy gig so I was cordially commanded to attend. I was with the Navy Show band at the time and Cape Verde is where we kicked off our West Africa tour. We couldn't entertain the locals there because they had no safe AC power source in 1988. That's another story in itself. We had to wait to wait a week for the P3 Orion to come back to pick us up. I loved that plane.

We also did a few days in Senegal and most other countries in West Africa. All told it was about two months there and then on to South America for 6 months and another month in the Caribbean.

I had my ham ticket on that trip and while in Zaire met Tom Gregory N4NW operating as 9Q5NW in Zaire. At the time he was the communications officer for the US Embassy in Kinshasa. He had a few of us over to dinner and then turned me loose on his big gun station to be DX for an hour or so operating as 9Q5NW. Best time I ever had on the radio. :)

I'll bet operating as 9Q5NW was indeed a real treat. Sounds like it was a good time. I did not have my ticket back then and even if I did I would not have been operating. I don't think so anyway. Mostly back-packing and using public transport back then. No such thing as an FT-817 then. LOL When I look back I think it is a shame as in 1983 Andorra, Senegal, Morocco, Algeria, and Ghana would have been excellent places to be DX from.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated