• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CaptKillowatt and other's

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Ok so I was putting my parts out on the work bench doing a dry run layout and it hit me.....Not only are carbon resistors old school but I think the design I am following is old and out dated.

Oh I was lying out parts for my rectifier/doubler board. It called for 100 ohm 2 watt carbon resistors. So I was thinking why not use 10W wire wound resistors? So then I got to thinking why 100 ohm? Was that just a convient readily available size value when the design was drawn up or was it just what the guy had a lot of in his junk box? If I increase the ohms of resistance wont I also improve regulation of the power in the rectifier board?

So know I am thinking maybe something in the 5-10 watt range in a wire wound resistors might be better? So where is the sweet spot? Is it 200 ohms, 500ohms 1kohm, 100kohm. I guessing that size is going to be a limiting factor. Wire wound resistors get large in a hurry. So anyone played around with resistor values in the rectifier section? I am definitely not going to use carbon resistors and definitely no 2watt ones either.

Am I spinning my wheels over nothing????

The ones I am talking about are just the balancing and bleeders. But would this not hold true for any resistors in the power supply area? If any resistor in the power supply area fails will not take out parts down stream? Also the greater the resistance would that not put more load in the system to smooth out regulation?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated