• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB antenna mount directly behind truck cab, good idea or no?

May 28, 2023
I read somewhere on here where someone had issues tuning the SWR on their mobile antenna because it was mounted behind the cab and they were getting reflection from the cab. Makes sense to me.

Then I read on Right Channel Radios website that I can mount an antenna on a tool box behind the cab, although they recommend nearer to the driver’s side as opposed to in the center (but this is still behind the cab), and they advise trying to get 1/2 of the antenna length above the roofline, or at least a minimum of 1/3. They show a photo of a fiberglass antenna mounted between the toolbox and the cab, not on the opposite side further away from the cab. Aesthetically this looks the best, but performance wise, I don’t know.

Am I misunderstanding something here?

I read somewhere on here where someone had issues tuning the SWR on their mobile antenna because it was mounted behind the cab and they were getting reflection from the cab. Makes sense to me.

Then I read on Right Channel Radios website that I can mount an antenna on a tool box behind the cab, although they recommend nearer to the driver’s side as opposed to in the center (but this is still behind the cab), and they advise trying to get 1/2 of the antenna length above the roofline, or at least a minimum of 1/3. They show a photo of a fiberglass antenna mounted between the toolbox and the cab, not on the opposite side further away from the cab. Aesthetically this looks the best, but performance wise, I don’t know.

If your antenna has a coil at the bottom, it would be best to have the coil above the roof.

I have a 102" stainless whip with spring attached to a Breedlove Stake Pocket Mount with a Breedlove Quick-Disconnect. The antenna is located in the front stake pocket behind the cab on the driver's side. It's been there for three years and SWR has been less than 1.5 throughout the CB channels.

If your antenna has a coil at the bottom, it would be best to have the coil above the roof.
A Firestik has the coil at the top. So do you think a 4’ Firestik will work mounted directly behind the cab, in the center? I believe 2’ of it including the coil would be above the roofline.

A Firestik has the coil at the top. So do you think a 4’ Firestik will work mounted directly behind the cab, in the center? I believe 2’ of it including the coil would be above the roofline.
Been there........tried that.......done that!
Did not work for me. How and where will you mount the Firestick? Breedlove has a 24" aluminum flat-bar bracket which mounts to the head-board.

Been there........tried that.......done that!
Did not work for me. How and where will you mount the Firestick? Breedlove has a 24" aluminum flat-bar bracket which mounts to the head-board.
Well, right now I’m just exploring options. This is a 2023 Nissan Frontier and it has the utili-track on two sides and the front wall of the truck bed. It is just below the top of the bed rails. It works like uni-strut and is made to use Nissan’s proprietary clamp on tie downs but I can also buy clamps that just terminate in a threaded bolt and then I can attach whatever I want. So I figured on maybe attaching a mount for a 4’ Firestik.

Well, right now I’m just exploring options. This is a 2023 Nissan Frontier and it has the utili-track on two sides and the front wall of the truck bed. It is just below the top of the bed rails. It works like uni-strut and is made to use Nissan’s proprietary clamp on tie downs but I can also buy clamps that just terminate in a threaded bolt and then I can attach whatever I want. So I figured on maybe attaching a mount for a 4’ Firestik.
Maybe there is a Third Brake Light Antenna Mount for the Nissan. I had one on a F-350.

I have tried a few different setups for an antenna on my pickup. A mag mount worked well but it was too tall.
Currently I run a Hustler HQ27 mounted to the front of my tool box. I can't really say whether it works any worse or better than the mag mount. My swrs are no higher than 1.4 on the cb channels and had plenty of bandwidth.

I have talked plenty of skip with this antenna and it seems to do OK locally.
But I must admit I have never bonded my truck so I do have some noise in my receiver. I have talked to a couple of base stations about 40 miles away on AM with it though.

Attachments

• 20230603_190437.jpg
    20230603_190437.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 21
Reactions: undertaker
I have tried a few different setups for an antenna on my pickup. A mag mount worked well but it was too tall.
Currently I run a Hustler HQ27 mounted to the front of my tool box. I can't really say whether it works any worse or better than the mag mount. My swrs are no higher than 1.4 on the cb channels and had plenty of bandwidth.

I have talked plenty of skip with this antenna and it seems to do OK locally.
But I must admit I have never bonded my truck so I do have some noise in my receiver. I have talked to a couple of base stations about 40 miles away on AM with it though.
Codeman, were you talking on 28 AM yesterday and today?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated