• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Dipole antenna

100% on this!

Take note, you're feeding a balanced antenna with an unbalanced feedline such as coax and will cause the unequal current to flow back on the coax line…hence the term "common mode current".

A 1:1 choke balun is used to control this by adding enough choking impedance to a given frequency or broadbanded to cover a much wider range.

"Ugly" air wound chokes work and are simple to make. Better ones are small coax or teflon wire wrapped around a 2 x 1/4" mix 33 (or 43 if higher bands are used more) ferrite ring or in series with 2 rings and installed in a weather proof box. Typically 2 gang electrical boxes are used with RF connections for easy install.

Think of it this way by definition, Bal-un, balanced to unbalanced.
Thank you, that's a great explanation and definition. I've got a spool of 8x so the next thing is to build and "ugly" air wound choke before going any further.

I did mine without because at the time, I didn't know that it needed one.
I'm doing the same because I didn't know any better either.

Currently running one as a backup antenna in the attic but I didn't build it. It does pretty good considering it's only in the attic above the garage not very high!
20221110_170354.jpg

This one I'm working on is a home brew to see what I could build. It's the one below.
20221108_172842.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.