• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Dx on the digimodes

dc2rf

Jan 15, 2014
Watching the "waterfall" on the sdr...

Seeing 14MIT02 (France) calling CQ on the mini digi band on 11 meters with psk31 ... 27.500mhz. This frequency is set aside worldwide for digi-modes. I've seen Olivia and psk31 on it when the band is open.

Just a "heads-up" if you wish to watch the activity also. (not legal to participate in the US, of course).

Reactions: n0zna

Pretty funny Ratso! :LOL:

Actually, most of the 11 meter ops around the world are actually quite civilized and conduct themselves in a professional manner. :)

14MIT02 is a very interesting person in the "radio world", professionally speaking. You can read about him on the 'net.

Pretty funny Ratso! :LOL:

Actually, most of the 11 meter ops around the world are actually quite civilized and conduct themselves in a professional manner. :)

14MIT02 is a very interesting person in the "radio world", professionally speaking. You can read about him on the 'net.

One wonders why they don't get their ham license so they're not restricted by a band that closes after the sun goes down.

There is a station in MEXICO who runs PSK31 all the time also, around that frequency.
You have to remember that the USA FCC still thinks in the year 1960 and no further, so laws will never change here.
DOCTOR/795

Ratso you owe me a Cold Lone Star (y) mine just shot through my nose that frickin hurt like hell too

There is a station in MEXICO who runs PSK31 all the time also, around that frequency.
You have to remember that the USA FCC still thinks in the year 1960 and no further, so laws will never change here.
DOCTOR/795

The laws really don't have to change. There's a radio service in the USA that is the answer to everyones' dreams of frequency, mode and power output (within reason). Why is it that some of us can't see it? And I say that with love and affection for everyone here :)

One wonders why they don't get their ham license so they're not restricted by a band that closes after the sun goes down.

Oh, I'm sure there are as many reasons as there are ops that don't wish to. One of those reasons could be that some folks don't feel that they should have to ask permission to do something that should be a right instead of a "privilege".

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
27.700 MHz USB has been the 11M SSTV calling frequency for 20+ years.

Your right. 27.500mhz is for digi modes that don't exceed 250hz bandwidth. 27.700 is for digi modes using more than 250hz... like sstv.

Of course, 27.500mhz isn't "respected" by many ssb ops. I've monitored digi there while having ssb ops just blast the psk31 sigs away. The psk31 sigs are usually no more than 50w peak, so they don't have a chance against the power ssb stations. In all fairness though, many ssb ops this side of the Atlantic are unaware that '500 is reserved (gentleman's agreement) for weak signal digi. Of course, others that do know couldn't care less.

Your right. 27.500mhz is for digi modes that don't exceed 250hz bandwidth. 27.700 is for digi modes using more than 250hz... like sstv.

Of course, 27.500mhz isn't "respected" by many ssb ops. I've monitored digi there while having ssb ops just blast the psk31 sigs away. The psk31 sigs are usually no more than 50w peak, so they don't have a chance against the power ssb stations. In all fairness though, many ssb ops this side of the Atlantic are unaware that '500 is reserved (gentleman's agreement) for weak signal digi. Of course, others that do know couldn't care less.

And were is it written that its "legal" for US ops to use that freq? Yet there is a legal way to run digi and its been mentioned in this thread already.

And were is it written that its "legal" for US ops to use that freq? Yet there is a legal way to run digi and its been mentioned in this thread already.

It isn't legal in the US, as I previously mentioned in the first post in this thread. However, there is more to this world than the US. I was speaking globally. The FCC has no say on what the rest of the world is doing on those freqs.

Ops from all over the world use these digi modes on these frequencies and I like to monitor them on my sdr. Our "illegal" (ssb) activities trample on ops from other countries using these freqs.

Last edited:
Thought I'd add a final note to the 11 meter digi mode post. I realize that most ops here may not have much of an interest in listening to this activity (and that's understandable) especially since we can't participate, but I find it interesting never the less. It's a challenge to dig out activity on the 11m spectrum that many folk have no idea is going on. It's a fun technical challenge to both the op and also ones own station equipment.

At 18:56Z today I was copying faint CW just above 27.500mhz ( in the mini digi band). The station was 14V825 and was attempting to have a QSO with a station I couldn't quite hear. Since 14V825 also had a lot of QSB on his sig, I couldn't quite get the call of the other station. On my end, I had to use a sharp audio filter to cut out state-side QRM.

Again, I know it's not interesting to most folk, but I thought I'd mention this logging just to broaden the "horizon" of awareness of what goes on world-wide on 11 meters that we often have no knowledge of.

Btw, I did capture the logging as an audio recording.

Good DX to you! It's nice having 11m open again.

Nice to see propagation supporting SSTV again on 27.700 usb (in spite of fierce ssb traffic). Germany and France appearing on the display at this time.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.bmp
    240.1 KB · Views: 4

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.