1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

CB FM and PL

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Rob_MA, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Rob_MA

Rob_MA Active Member

Investigating an option for a friend of a friend... are there any export AM/FM rigs that have CTCSS/PL decoding on FM? Long story about Northern Maine hunting camps if anyone really wants to know.

2. BandEdger

BandEdger New Member

The HR2510 and I believe 2600 has CTCSS capability, also the HTX10 and 100 I believe.

I spent some time in that area at hunting camps, 25-30 years ago, hours down logging roads near Caribou, Portage, and once up near Fort Kent. Good times. Some guys from the Worcester, MA, area owned land up there.

3. Ranch55

Ranch55 Well-Known Member

The Stryker SR955 radio is capable of this with the optional installed CTCSS module.
    I have this module board installed in 3 of my SR955 radios.

4. 743SEPA

743SEPA Active Member

Nice country up there. My wife is from Presque Isle. Spent 9 yrs there @ Loring.

5. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

Not sure if ANY export radio uses CTCSS for decode. They generally use it just for encoding to open a repeater on 10m. AFAIK the receiver function will not mute. Imay be wrong on that however.

6. Rob_MA

Rob_MA Active Member

Yes, my searching so far has shown encode only on these radios. I was hoping to find a newly available radio to recommend to these folks. I had originally suggested MURS but they didn't want a second radio as they use CB quite a bit.

7. Chevboy0167

Chevboy0167 Well-Known Member

GMRS? I know... not wanting another radio but will have encode/decode and even private channels.

Mudfoot likes this.
  8. Rob_MA

Rob_MA Active Member

The one radio thing is set in stone for some reason. They all use regular 40 ch during the day and in the trucks and ATVs.

They leave their radios on at night but lately they get woken up by skip so they turn them down or off. One guy had a serious medical issue one night and couldn't reach the others on the radio. If at night they could switch over to FM with PL encode/decode only the group's transmissions would wake them.

MURS or GMRS would be simpler and possible cheaper than another CB but none of them want to get another radio in their cabins... despite the past medical incident. Just tried to find a solution for them given their strict parameters.

Thanks for the help.

9. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

I know the Lincoln 'll plus does CTCSS and DCS encode, but I an not sure about decode.
    Jeff

Mudfoot likes this.
  10. AudioShockwav

Staff Member

I just sent off a e mail to President asking about this.
    I will reply back when they answer.

Jeff

11. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

Switching to some quite frequency below Ch1 might be a viable compromise solution. Although skip stations will occur on any of those frequencies, at least you won’t be inundated with them.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  12. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I remember some old school CB had a PL feature. Can't recall how it worked, but was advertised as a private line.

13. sunbulls

sunbulls Sr. Member

The old Johnson Messenger 1 (white face) had a Tone Alert accessory. I still have a couple of those lying around, but never actually tried to use them. Those were based on reed elements similar to the old Motorola Vibrasponders. I guess you could say they're the mechanical equivalent of today's solid state Pl

14. AudioShockwav

Staff Member

There were a couple of the old Johnson tube radios with that feature.
    I might still have some Motorola Vibrsponders in my storage with a old black face Johnson.
    Loaf of Bread radios.
    That is some old stuff right there.
    Jeff

USXDriver likes this.
  15. fourstringburn

fourstringburn W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member K5KNM

Here is what I posted on another thread about CTCSS on the Lincoln 2 and Anytone. I do own a Lincoln 2 and experimented with the CTCSS.

AudioShockwav likes this.

: PL tones, CTCSS, FM CB