• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB License

KYN-3872. Got it in 72. Mom got it for me as I was 9 years old. I had my own base station. Santa gave it to me lol!

well, I agree that in the U.S. they were called a "license", but, the fact is they really were "permits" in the legal sense of the word.:tongue:

it later became FCC policy to just use your initials and add your zipcode numbers for the class D permit.
My Dad is KQX-6406
I was too late and was told to use initials and last 4 of phone #, thus
KAB-6573
I still through it out just for reactions.

many other stations inside the 100-150 mile radius that CB folks could talk with out breaking the rules. Nitely nets around ft worth Dallas might have 10-15 regulars and then about 9-10' pm the guys from all over America and the world called in. We Had a lot of fun......sent cards and t shirts,caps back and forth to many places. 39 lsb was a fun place, in the day time was a giant noise level.....some days I had trouble talking 20 miles mobile to base.....the cycle was almost too much. Always want an SBE station and Console....!!!

And it was in those early days much like amateur radio. A lot of the time I could tune through all 23 channels and not find anyone to talk to. The locals would start jumping on around 6pm and we'd talk round table style til the wee hours with no one breaking in with noise toys or profanity. I think it was after they dropped the license requirement that the "boom" occurred and things went sour. It's also when I started feeling the need to move on to Amateur Radio. It was fun though.

Mine was KHD-4303..
Originally Required to Obtain..as was for any/everyone back in 1971/72 when i was 9/10...

Later on i was Still Required to have a CB license when most did not need to due to my affiliation with React..

Back then had my Own Base Realistic Navaho TRC-23a
( well was called a Base Mobile but was way too big to be used as a mobile..lol ) and had a Turner Plus 2 Power Mike...With a Mobile Antenna mount antenna mounted to Window frame on 3rd floor of apartment building..

Those were some Great Days..

Oh and Welcome to the Forum

Real old-timers will recall how the license used to cost $25. Then it dropped to $5, then it was free and finally the license requirement was done away with completely.

It ain't been the same since.

Mmmm ... some of y'all aren't remembering correctly. I got a KIGxxxx call in 1976. The 4x4 format did not come in until all of the 3x4's ending with KZZ were used up. Should have been 1978 or later. Can't find anything definitive on a search. Maybe someone can find or knows the exact date the 4x4's began.

Mmmm ... some of y'all aren't remembering correctly. I got a KIGxxxx call in 1976. The 4x4 format did not come in until all of the 3x4's ending with KZZ were used up. Should have been 1978 or later. Can't find anything definitive on a search. Maybe someone can find or knows the exact date the 4x4's began.

Mmmm- I think you better look at post 15. He's another cb'er that remembers when he got his permit or license. Who cares when they started. We just remember when we got them.

In 1960, I was a sophomore at Las Vegas (NV) High School. Our electronics lab had a "state-of-the-art" Hallicrafters CB station, and the call was 11Q0082. Eleven-Cue-Zero-Zero-Eight-Two. The license document had come in 8-1/2 by 11 inch format, between two slabs of cardboard for rigidity.

The licensing protocol at that time, for whatever reason, used the one- or two-digit designations for the NAVAL DISTRICT (!!) reflected in the licensee's address. Las Vegas (Clark County Nevada) was/is in the 11th Naval District - same as most of Southern California. I believe the next letter was "W" for the very first licenses. When those ran out in a particular district, they changed to "Q", and then to "K". After the letter came four digits, sequentially for each district. By the time they were processing the "K" licenses, I think FCC started to realize they'd let the genie out of the bottle. They went with a different format: 3x4 and 4x4 for a time, and then just threw up their hands and said "initials and ZIP code". Then later they appended "if you feel like it".

Reactions: 1 person
I don't remeber the CB license other than my uncle had one. most likely got his in the mid to late 60's Lafayette HE-20C radio and turner desk mic. I started in at 20 yrs 1980 Uniden Washington Silver Eagle and PDL-2 Stock and talking to mexico from NJ Stock radio.

Davenport, Iowa

My dad entered the hobby about 1960/61 and his call sign was 18Q1810.
two friends of his were 18Q0439 and 18W9663.
He had about 5 Johnson Messenger/Vikings in his plumbing trucks. I don't recall what the base station was at home.

I had one back in 1970 but lost it was just thinking it would be nice to recover it . now that I have a galaxy 949dx w/ ssb.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.