• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Problem

Marksilverado

Dec 30, 2011
I recently bought a Cobra 29 LX with dual Wilson 1000 antennas. When I do a RF Output test I fail for a split second than pass right away when keying the mike, is this spike normal? My SWR is at .5 after a quick spike. Another thing is I had amazing reception yesterday after install now today its terrible. I accidently turned the SWR Cal knob up while transmitting and I got an antenna warning. After seeing this I realized what happened and recalibrated it. My main problem is I had a couple mile transmission yesterday now today barely a mile in same location and conditions.

I recently bought a Cobra 29 LX with dual Wilson 1000 antennas. When I do a RF Output test I fail for a split second than pass right away when keying the mike, is this spike normal? My SWR is at .5 after a quick spike. Another thing is I had amazing reception yesterday after install now today its terrible. I accidently turned the SWR Cal knob up while transmitting and I got an antenna warning. After seeing this I realized what happened and recalibrated it. My main problem is I had a couple mile transmission yesterday now today barely a mile in same location and conditions.

Dual Wilson 1000 antennas? WTF!

Reactions: 1 person
Seeing that he is a new member, either he doesn't know what he is doing or he didn't give us enough details.

Having said that, I would recommend that he uses just ONE antenna and try to make it work right first. Running two antennas would mean that he needs to use RG-59/75ohm coax on the Wilson 1000 antennas. They come with RG-58/50ohm coax. Not going to work that way at all . . .

Yea I see alot of problems there. Wilson 1000 antennas are meant to be run as a single antenna. When running two antenna's you need a co-phase coax harness that is 75 ohms. A single Wilson 1000 runs at 50 ohms as does your radio.

Next you cannot have an SWR reading of .5 a perfect match if possible would be 1.0 and you should be able to tune a Wilson 1000 to 1.2 to 1.5 easy.

Your going to have to give more information on how these antennas are wired up. Also I have no idea what you mean when you say," When I do a RF Output test I fail for a split second than pass right away when keying the mike" ??????

You guys are right I am very new to the CB world and am looking for some tips. I actually am running dual Wilson FGT-4 not 1000s. I ran 18 foot RG-59 coax meant for co-phased setups. After reading a bit more I still need to tune the antennas. My main concern was that SWR spike at the start of transmission but than drops
To .5-.75

You guys are right I am very new to the CB world and am looking for some tips. I actually am running dual Wilson FGT-4 not 1000s. I ran 18 foot RG-59 coax meant for co-phased setups. After reading a bit more I still need to tune the antennas. My main concern was that SWR spike at the start of transmission but than drops
To .5-.75

Nothing should "spike" unless something is loose. Check all your connections in the antenna chain. A bad solder job on a pl-239 or the harness would do that.

I see that Wilson FGT-4 is a 4' 5/8 wave mobile antenna. Now there's some creative marketing!

You might want to read this first:
SWR

NO SWR is below 1. 'SWR' is a ratio of forward/output power out of the radio to the amount of power being reflected back into it due to impedance mismatch. So, for a dual antenna/co-phased setup with RG-59 coax the best you can get is 1.5 - or said properly - 1.5 to 1

Ok I will check again the CB Meter.

If you are in a pickup truck, put a Wilson 1000 or 5000 mag mount on the roof and all your swr problems will vanish. For most people dual antennas are a no win situation with a bunch of mother ^%#$@&ing cussing involved. For dual antennas to have a chance of working right they must be at least 10 ft apart and even then most drivers end up giving up and going with one.
best of luck and happy new Year!

I think he means that the readings are between 1.5:1 and 1.75:1 and is simply forgetting the '1'. Readings in that range are acceptable. As far as the spike goes, I have read on a couple different forums about others having this same problem with the 29 LX series radios. Some have speculated that the PTT switch is making noise when keyed and causing the SWR to increase briefly which causes a spike on the meter. AFAIK nobody has reported any problems or damage because of it.

I think he means that the readings are between 1.5:1 and 1.75:1 and is simply forgetting the '1'. Readings in that range are acceptable. As far as the spike goes, I have read on a couple different forums about others having this same problem with the 29 LX series radios. Some have speculated that the PTT switch is making noise when keyed and causing the SWR to increase briefly which causes a spike on the meter. AFAIK nobody has reported any problems or damage because of it.

nothing a little wd-40 won't fix.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.