• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB-radio or a ham-radio?

I can think of a few reasons real quick on why to spend the extra cash on a ham radio for 11m:

1. No CB/Export radio can come close the the RX on a radio like the 706. If you're really into DX'ing, often the RX is more important than TX.

2. If you have antenna restrictions where you can't put up big directional antennas like yagis, then RX sensitivity and configurability (filter shape, pass band width and range, pre-amp, attenuator, etc.) is even more important.

3. Speech compressor function on most ham radios can make a big difference in "punch" in TX. If it's still not enough power, you can always add more.

4. If you want to listen to aircraft, short wave, ham, military, you can without buying another radio.

That's my two cents.

Tanx for the advice!
I have owned a nice ham-radio in the 80:ies. A Kenwood TS830. But there was some legal problem... :(
And my radio intresst var dead forever. I belived! Un till last year, when I was pulling my old CB-radio togeter. And remember how much fun I had whit all my radio chat, long distance DX:ing and technical test. I AM BACK! :D

About the radio, I will se if I can get a nice all-mode ham-radio. Then I can also use it on LO-mode for CB-talk lokal in town. I have found a Alinco DX 77 for 746 $, I dont know if it is something for me?
http://www.alinco.com/usa.html

It sounds like the Icom 706 are something extra - like a small Godzilla of the radios... :D

The Icom 706 have sold a lot, it must mean something.

Is there some one who know where I can bye it second hand on Internet? After all It is a litle expensive new, with all the necessery stuff. If it is in EU it is better for me. I have to pay 25 % tax if the radio come outside EU... :(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.