• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB reatards 68xl mod

It's not rocket science.....but if it was as simple as a twist of a pot and spreading a coil there would be no need for radio techs.

He said sorry because it appears Peddler had to delete a post or two, I missed all that though. It's all good Switch.

Your right Butch , tech's come and go ,kind of like around here as well , dying breed comes to mind . It's been a few years since I've personally had to pad there pockets or pay for there over heads , but as far as this forum is concerned , I've certainly taken the time to send folks there ways or at least took the time to put in a good words for them when I felt it was right. Maybe after all of this Big Red has decided to leave well enough alone ? His choice. But as I said before , I'd tell him or anyone in his situation the same thing all over again. It's not that I don't mind where perfection is concerned , it's just cb radio ,and within reason , I just personally do not see where perfection needs to be priority number one. If you were to look and read in the mod section of this Forum , I like to have fun and IM certainly not trying to shoot down perfection when it's presented. but it sure seems like others just love to step on somebody else trying to do something for themselves ,yeap ! in the end Butch , It's all good anyway I look at it .....it has to be. IM right and there wrong and there right and IM wrong...........whatever floats ones boat. And KM , IM wave'in a friendly hand at cha dude , you are intitled to your opinion , I certainly wouldn't want to take that away from you or anyone else. I truly doubt my horse is any higher then your own. YIPPY-I-O-KI-A PEACE :)

I guess the other way to look at it is you can have fun playing with a Cobra 25.........but when your 2950DX needs a tune then pay to have it done.

DTB Radio said:
Be careful spreading the coil, you shouldn't need to spread it very far. The other mods he listed with the cap/resistor I would stay away from for the most part. His variable power deal is ok, but don't use larger than about a .1uf cap across the transistor, or you'll end up with the same results as the resistor/large cap mod.

Justin uses a 1000uf across the transistor he uses.

I use 1000uf at 35 volts myself . With 1 or 2 watt resistors . Can you feel the Christmas love now ? ;)

Well Dusty ,I can't disagree with you there , but there are still all kinds of ways of having fun regardless of what the scope says. Welcome to the Forum. Peace

Dustoff said:
The most acurate way to set modulation is with a scope. Been there, done that.

Its also one of the most accurate ways to measure output power PEP.
But I do agree with what a few guys have said already. You do need some basic tools but you can do alot with some cheap stuff that anyone can find. Like if he doesn't have a watt meter for instance... a 12 volt light bulb soldered to a pl259 will work with an inline amp meter (multi tester). But unfortunatly with this its hard to guage any fine or small increase or decreases in output power with the bulb alone. Use the amp meter to watch increases in amps and watch the bulb for increases (decreases) in light (glow). Personally I'd recommend a watt meter before you start but even that can be cheap.
Theres alot of guys that don't have a scope. And no one will really take notice if the modulation is a little over mod or under mod. You really don't need a scope as long as you monitor what the radio sounds like on a second radio... like a handheld and a set of headphones...if your radio is dreadfully distorted (overmod) or really under mod you will be able to tell. You will be able to guage what the radio will sound like when transmitting. If your overmodded... you will be able to tell.

You can learn alot of basics by playing with AM radios. But its best to play with a scrap radio first if your uncomfortable.

I'm not saying that its the only way, I agree, not everyone has a scope. Alot of people want that big radio sound, and alot do nothing more than overmodulate and over drive their radios. If you have a "good" tech around, your lucky, and I would recommend using them. If not, experimentation works wonders, just a little at a time. And thanks for the welcome, brand new and looking around :D

My two cents.

I believe the idea behind the cap is to keep up voltage, negative peak compression. I have done a Uniden and a cobra the retard way, now people are begging me to do the same to thiers. I know my radio drives the hell out my M400, way better than before. The one comment I always get, is how clear and loud it is.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.