• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB retards mod follow up

how does she look

• not bad for your first mod

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
usually Wax or some kind of super glue , you might have hit the super glue , that's some nasty stuff ! all that said , just make sure you insulate that transistor , even if you use black tape (electrical) it would surely be better then nothing. Have fun.

Nothing wrong with retuning by changing inductance. Bigred obviously doesn't do alot of radio work......not yet at least...and you have to start somewhere. I think he is off to a good start or perhaps even beyond the starting point.
Changing inductance is a good place to start for power tune ups and learning about rf amps/tuning circuits.

He built a decent circuit that does what he wants to his radio. I think thats cool. The fact that he chose to use a transistor and not build the other type is also cool.

This is how alot of people get into radio repair/electronics building.

Nice job Bigred222.... enjoy the radio and mod.
Very nice job ;)

Bushwacker Seriously you just made my day. i understand why people frown at my work and say what a crap job Red, but i just look at it myself and say Welp looks like hell butchya gotta start somewhere. I think next i want to build my own amplifier just for fun. but first i think i need to invest in some more testing equipment. my dads an engineer and his talent sure hasnt rubbed off on me but his desire to want to make stuff sure did. Thanks bushwacker. give my 73's up to good ol' canada for me

BIGREDS Connecticut Base Station Is 10-7

bigred222 said:
Bushwacker Seriously you just made my day. i understand why people frown at my work and say what a crap job Red, but i just look at it myself and say Welp looks like hell butchya gotta start somewhere. I think next i want to build my own amplifier just for fun. but first i think i need to invest in some more testing equipment. my dads an engineer and his talent sure hasnt rubbed off on me but his desire to want to make stuff sure did. Thanks bushwacker. give my 73's up to good ol' canada for me

Did you finish the radio? what are you seeing as far as watts? and are you happy with it?

bigred222 said:

I really don't think you did a crap job at all. Its looks really good to me. If you want to build an amp, you can do it without alot of test equiptment. There are lots of small basic amps you can build. The biggest thing for amps is a good rf meter that will show reflected watts and a dummy load. If you have those and a good power supply (enough for what your building) and multimeter and your set. You don't need alot of fancy equiptment. There are small little 1 pill amps you can build or even amps with 1969's and other transistors that are small and easy.... they are all based on the same tuning circuits.
Don't put off building stuff because you think you don't have the right equiptment. If you don't have a dummy load.... build one... need a signal generator... use a second cb radio etc etc.
Go for it and build an amp... if you don't feel comfortable building one from scratch,,,, get a kit.
If you want to try a real easy and small amp, try the "Mosquito", the schematic is at cbtricks and you can use a 1969 for the rf power transistor.
lots of other schematics for 1 or 2 pill amps you can build at cbtricks. I really think if you take your time and enjoy what your doing you will have no problem building one. There are lots of guys on the forums here that know their stuff to answer your questions.
Go for it.... and nice job with the mod
Bush station 588 kickin back those good numbers to Conneticut

I like it almost looks as good as my mod:p
In the future don't ground nothing to the outer body,keep your grounds before the disc caps!:)
If you are sure of your mod and want to seal it use this,
Liquid Tape! it works great even around the soldered wires!
On mine i have a 5k pod in the front for theRF Gain
as this gave me .0-3 watt DK, with total control !

My only suggestion would be to solder the ground to the frame of your power transformer/filter and not to a variable inductor. Too much heat and you will damage the inductor and it is much easier to solder to the frame.

Dr_DX said:
My only suggestion would be to solder the ground to the frame of your power transformer/filter and not to a variable inductor. Too much heat and you will damage the inductor and it is much easier to solder to the frame.

I would have to agree with this above

looks good for your first time

stay with it and you will be doing amps in no time

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.