• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB retards mod follow up

how does she look

• not bad for your first mod

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bigred222

Key Up City Radio
Aug 28, 2006
Stamford, CT
www.cbjunk.com
OK guys i did it. it works fine. i need a bird meter to see what shes actually doing but heres some pictures of what i did
heres a pic of where i removed the jumper
jumperremovededited.jpg

heres a picture of the combo before installation
capcombocropped.jpg

heres the whole enchilada. it was fun Is the coil spreading ok. i really didnt want to over do it.
finalpicinboardedited.jpg

Tell me what you think thanks
10-7

You should have used a 47uf cap.

And you did not put shrink tube or even tape around the Tip31.
it is going to short out against the heat sink.

And I don't see the ground wire coming off the pot, maybe I missed it.

i tried a 47uf cap and if you look on the site he says you can use a larger cap if you want to i tried to experiment. and OH yah i forgot to put heat shrink on it. ill go do that. i did put a ground wire to it its to the left of where the mounting bracket screw hole is i solderd it right to the chassis. ( it wouldnt stick to a pot)

That ground lead should be moved to a POT or a circuit board ground trace. The chassis and circuit board grounds are supposed to be DC-isolated, at least in the radio. You could end up with some ground loop issues the way you have it there. Also, by including a cap on your variable-power transistor, you will end up with audio distortion due to periods of 0 output (flatlining) while transmitting.

bigred222 said:
i tried a 47uf cap and if you look on the site he says you can use a larger cap if you want to i tried to experiment. and OH yah i forgot to put heat shrink on it. ill go do that. i did put a ground wire to it its to the left of where the mounting bracket screw hole is i solderd it right to the chassis. ( it wouldnt stick to a pot)

Run the ground to one of the small metal "cans" on the circuit board....
Scrape the corner of the metal can with a razor blade, apply flux to scraped area, and use at least a 15-30 watt iron... Then it will stick just fine......

yeah it wasnt there i thought that was kind of strange as well. and oh. word of advice. NEVER let a soldering iron hit L20. i did and my eyes instantaniously Burned so bad it was like they were in acid. What is that thing made of. and i did it 2 times. it was the most pain ive ever indured on my eyes it was even worse than the post op after i had eye surgery(big red used to have double vision but they fixed that right up and my eyes were bloodshot for weeks)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.