• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB saves a life

Many years ago I was up late playing radio, things were dead and I was flipping around the band.
Ran across a guy calling on CH 9 for help, him, his wife and kids had gotten themselves up by Edison Camp in the middle of a nasty snow storm, and were stuck unable to move.
Back then we still had a local react chapter, but Woody, the local member that listened to CH 9 at night could not hear them. I called the Fresno sheriff`s dept and alerted them, then stayed on the radio with the guy for most of the night while Deputies got a search and rescue team together and headed up with snowmobiles in tow.
Long story short, they all got out, and had to leave their truck and camp trailer up there until the storm passed.
And I got a real nice Thank You card from the local React chapter for my help.
Yes Radio ( any kind) can be a valuable tool when other forms of communication will not work.
Up here in the Sierras there are many places that Cell Phones are useless.

Jeff

Reactions: 6 people
Back 20 years or more ago before cell phones were really popular, or even had decent coverage, my wife and I were returning from a trip to New England. We were about halfway between Sussex and Petticodiac New Brunswick in the middle of nowhere basically. It was pouring extremely hard and as we rounded a bend we saw a car upside down with the rear wheels still spinning. Short story version...one car hydroplaned and crossed the highway and got T-boned by another car and in turn an 18-wheeler following slammed into both vehicles. Toll: three dead in the upside down car and one critical with a ruptured spleen and compound fractures plus other injuries in the other car. Truck driver was uninjured and attempted to get help via CB radio. The skip was too heavy and all he got was noise. A couple cars left and said they would head to a phone. I had my newly purchased 2m HT with me already tuned to the Sussex repeater and raised another ham that called 911 and relayed info for me. My wife (a nurse) and another nurse did the best they could while I and the other nurses husband kept traffic flowing in order to keep the road open for emergency vehicles. Amazing how many rubber-neckers just stop dead in the road to gawk.

Reactions: 1 person
The video doesn't give a reason the man lost consciousness, but all turned out good.
The DMV will make you jump through hoops to keep your license if a medical problem caused a crash......been there, done that.
This is the only case I have ever heard of where someone got any value from a Palomar. :laugh:

saw a D104 with the ol' sock on it. :laugh:

definitely did not look new. :blink:

you'd think that when the camera crew showed up, he might have removed his dirty laundry from atop his microphone!

you'll notice that they switched to some stock footage of a mobile mic.
i guess the image of him talking into his sock didnt sit too well with the producers. LOL

all kidding aside, im glad that people can still get help on a CB radio.
LC

The old boy sounds like he's on his last leg. Raspy voice, labored breathing, inspiratory and expiratory wheezes along with defined trapezius muscles.

Obviously, a long time smoker with advanced emphysema, lung CA, or both. His wheezing, sounds like a dogs squeaky toy.

Anyway, poor dude is gonna be 10-7 soon.

Reactions: 3 people
Looked like real footage to me.....but I would NEVER admit to owning a Palomar.

why?

i own two different palomar amps and both are biased AB1 on SSB, and include low pass filtering on the output.
one of them even has adjustable bias.
i for one think palomar makes a fine linear amplifier! :pop:

(y) i am busting Psycho's chops here by pretending like i dont get his joke (y)

LC

why?

i own two different palomar amps and both are biased AB1 on SSB, and include low pass filtering on the output.
one of them even has adjustable bias.
i for one think palomar makes a fine linear amplifier! :pop:

(y) i am busting Psycho's chops here by pretending like i dont get his joke (y)

LC

When I find that Chevy Chevette I always wanted, I'll put a Palomar and a Cobra 19 Plus in it!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.