• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB shops in or around San Antonio Texas

Dr Ox, i remember that RV that was along I 10 I also remember going inside and feeling like something about his shop, man going down I 10 and seeing radio shops up and down the interstate, seemed like there were shops all over the place, there were a few in that hotel by Clays, but then again in the 70's and early 80's, San Antonio was full of radio shops, some better than others.
Dr. do you live in SA or outside the loop, i live in a small Town Call Pipe Creek, down the road from Medina Lake, but there was a lot of radio stuff in the 70's and 80's, those were fun days.

sa or outsid

Reactions: codeman
Dr Ox, i remember that RV that was along I 10 I also remember going inside and feeling like something about his shop, man going down I 10 and seeing radio shops up and down the interstate, seemed like there were shops all over the place, there were a few in that hotel by Clays, but then again in the 70's and early 80's, San Antonio was full of radio shops, some better than others.
Dr. do you live in SA or outside the loop, i live in a small Town Call Pipe Creek, down the road from Medina Lake, but there was a lot of radio stuff in the 70's and 80's, those were fun days.

sa or outsid
Slowmover do you live in Kerville

I live between Boerne and Pipe Creek. Been there 50+ years. Back in the day when I had my shop in San Antonio, I went by Grey Ghost on AM but now I go by Dr_DX on AM and the old timers on SSB know me as 861. Of course my HAM buddies know me by my callsign on the Ham bands.

Dr_DX

I remember rubberball as well. I used to talk to him when I was working local in San Antonio. I know I went to his shop, not sure if I had work by him or not.
A couple of shops I used was Wamcom and 4 watt cb shop. Both of those were a little east of the Petro. I had my 29 cobra truckerfied with echo, noise toys etc etc. Wamcom put a box in my 29 that had 4 different noise toys that he could hook up to his computer, I believe for a small fee and could change out the toys if you wanted. If you ever heard some jackwagon playing the Looney Tunes theme, it was probably me.

I use to hear the guys on 38 talking on sideband but of course I could not understand them with my AM only radio. Too bad for me I did not get into sideband until about 10 years ago.

I miss the days when San Antonio was a sleepy city.

Dr._DX is your first name Lee, i knew a radio tech guy with that handle whe worked at a water works i think that worked off between Blanco and San Pedro which was before it was 281 that went by Grey Ghost who did some radio work on my TRC 453, my personal is John Arredondo the Mighty Mite

I miss the days when San Antonio was a sleepy city.

Was at University there 45-years ago. Couldn’t agree more. Lovely, romantic and unhurried. Had been there often before that, and the attraction made it an easy choice over the other schools & cities where application was accepted.

Hearing Marie-Claire Alain maybe sealed it. Walking out of that chapel afterwards (with no dissonance) was pure magic. And not at all the only occasion as it proved out. Folks I haven’t seen since — I’m sure if I could but remind them — they’d immediately recall that sensation.

Last edited:
Codeman, I remember when there were miles and miles of open roads you could go and talk to your friends miles away, i remember when i got my first sideband radio, it was a Bowman 770 sideband with a D 104 lollipop mic and a Palomar TX 100 watt mobile amp that was a fun set up, when we had worked on a house in Mountain home out side Kerville which was a good ways from San Antonio when i talked to SA from I 10 Kerville, not sure what road it was but i had no problems talking back to San Antonio, people around Huebner and I 10 heard me load and clear, i sure miss those days, those were fun days.

Codeman, I remember when there were miles and miles of open roads you could go and talk to your friends miles away, i remember when i got my first sideband radio, it was a Bowman 770 sideband with a D 104 lollipop mic and a Palomar TX 100 watt mobile amp that was a fun set up, when we had worked on a house in Mountain home out side Kerville which was a good ways from San Antonio when i talked to SA from I 10 Kerville, not sure what road it was but i had no problems talking back to San Antonio, people around Huebner and I 10 heard me load and clear, i sure miss those days, those were fun days.

That is a good about of mileage to SA from Kerrville. I am able to talk fromthe northeast side of SA to the bandera and boerne area, I am running just an antenna mounted low due to where I live. Do you still live in the area? nevermind I just seen an earlier post that says you live in Pipe Creek. I have probably talk to you before. What channel of LSB do you use?

Last edited:
Well now i am not on, still have antenna troubles and really don't have any place to set up radio, well in the house but when i ever get back on i talk mostly SSB but we use to talk on 36 LSB but i like to get on 38 and see who's talking skip, i prefer to talk local, i talk AM if no Sideband is on, i also like talking FM the other person wants to but for now no talking.

Forgot to say i need to take this Pole Cat antenna down and do something with the screws, i hate screws, i have always had trouble with them, they always work themself out, that was why i was saying about using hose clamps and tighten the hell out of them and put something over the screws to keep them in place

Dr._DX is your first name Lee, i knew a radio tech guy with that handle whe worked at a water works i think that worked off between Blanco and San Pedro which was before it was 281 that went by Grey Ghost who did some radio work on my TRC 453, my personal is John Arredondo the Mighty Mite

Lol, yes that's me.

I remember talking to a Mighty Mite back in the day. It's been a while.

Dr_DX

Dr. i heard you got your ticket and now your into Computers, ya it has been a long time, every one who was on the radio back then, Local weed, Lunatic, The sweed, man just about all of them except AB, he still around and lives in San Angelo, is that how you spell it, but me i am not dead, been in 3 coma's and had a stroke but not dead yet and had a transplant for a Pancreas and Kidney but the Pancreas stopped working, something wrong with me, i don't die, am i a Zombie.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Dr. i heard you got your ticket and now your into Computers, ya it has been a long time, every one who was on the radio back then, Local weed, Lunatic, The sweed, man just about all of them except AB, he still around and lives in San Angelo, is that how you spell it, but me i am not dead, been in 3 coma's and had a stroke but not dead yet and had a transplant for a Pancreas and Kidney but the Pancreas stopped working, something wrong with me, i don't die, am i a Zombie.

Lol, yeah I went into the testing facility and a little over 2 hours later walked out with my provisional extra (I had a bet with a friend for $15). Almost all of my 11 meter SSB buds had gotten their tickets and they kept on hassling me to get mine.

I have been into computers since the early 80's. Built a couple of hundred over the years for friends and family. Like I said earlier, I got a day job in 95 so I had to shut down the shop and worked that into a really good IT job in 1999, just in time for the Y2K scare. I was making more in 1 year than I could in 4 years at my earlier job. So going IT was a no brainer. Should be able to retire in about 5 years with a full pension (assuming we haven't gone bankrupt by then and money is still worth anything).

In the 10 years I had my shop, I worked on pretty much everything; even old 23 channel stuff. Thousands of radios. Sorry I don't remember a particular TRC-453. Hopefully it is still working.

Sorry to hear about your health. Growing old isn't for the faint of heart.

Dr_DX

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.