• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CBS 1000's are back

Devildog said:
Yes it is fcc approved.

Stonerguy, these units were made in korea, i was wondering if the old cbs 1000 were made there also. Sounds like a 2 year warranty should come standard instead on a 1 yr.

I'll let you know in the next day or so. I have a few on the bench at work with various problems, and I'll check it out

Thestonerguy said:
Devildog said:
Yes it is fcc approved.

Stonerguy, these units were made in korea, i was wondering if the old cbs 1000 were made there also. Sounds like a 2 year warranty should come standard instead on a 1 yr.

I'll let you know in the next day or so. I have a few on the bench at work with various problems, and I'll check it out

Hey stoner, just wondering how they tune? Also let me know how everything else is working. Thanks, Jim

The used Cherokee 1000 I just got was made in the Phillipines.I know what you mean about the pushbuttons-I am missing 4 buttons but a short piece of dowel activates the switches just fine.I was able to DX on sideband barefoot to several states today with good reports on my signal.If the new radios are as good as this one they are worth the money!Of course,if I had the moolah a Galaxy 2547 would be in my shack!

I don't think these radios will exhibit the loud modulation and "swing" that many CB ops look for in a radio. If you want a louder sounding base radio, the Galaxy DX 2547 is the way to go.
That said, there isn't anything wrong with these 1000 style CBs, it's just that you probably won't get a lot of punch from them. Back in the beginning of the CDX contests, I used to run a Comanche Warrior 10 meter version of these radios (got it for $129 from National Communications back then!) , and with a small helper behind it, I worked all the members and it sounded fine. One of our locals ops uses the Warrior now for his local ragchewing, because it has a more pleasing sound for ragchewing, but if he works DX, he goes with his President Madison because it has more bark.

Don't expect big audio from it, but it does have it's place.

The Northpoint radios are available if you look for one-not refurbed because the new ones are made in Korea instead of the Phillipines.People are buying them because you can't get a ssb base for that kind of money and I would rather have something made in Korea instead of China.Just read the comments about the Chinese Cobra radios and you will see what I mean.By the way,I hooked up a Dosy test center to my Cherokee and it indicates DK of 5 watts and swing to 10 watts PEP on AM-better than I thought it was doing.

Northpoint CBS-1000

I have it from a fairly reliable source, that only 320 of these new units have been built. Anyone know for sure?

marven :roll:

Northpiont CBS-100 base

I actually like them for what they are. Am, USB,Lsb & WX base. An excellent low power base with channel expansion capability, scanner and freq. counter. All that and weather bands also.
I'm keeping mine, not that I need it. lol But really handy, and fun.
marven :D

Your right marven until they have more built and import them. They are seeing if its going to be profitable or not.

Northpoint CBS-1000

Put me down for several more. I'm sure these will sell well.
Nothing else like them, for the money.

marven :roll:

CBS1000

Bought one fro Durham Radio 3 weeks ago. Very happy with it. Board is same as Cherokee except improved,better resistors,etc. Called Northpoint to see about warrenty repairs from Canada no problem. Recommended CB Tricks for any adjustments.
Only thing I can't figure out is the clarifier mod one says to wire 2 wires to clarifier and remove resistor , Other wants to cut J132 and run wire from J94 to closest end of J132 near crystal.
I'd like to know which one is right. posted on other sites and received no replies. Hopefully someone here can give an answer, would be appreicated.
Thanx in advance
Shyguy
Ontario Canada

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.