1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

CDE Ham II Rotor Turns In One Direction Only?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Antennas' started by Eastside, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Eastside

Eastside Well-Known Member

My rotor rotates in one direction only....anyone have an idea what is wrong with it?

2. RatsoW8

RatsoW8 Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T

It's either the rotator itself or the control box. Google "rotor doctor" and give him a call. Seriously, there really is a rotor doctor and he's in Ohio...or at lesst used to be.

3. Robb

Robb Yup

4. Eastside

Thanks for the replies. :)

5. HiDef

HiDef Active Member

It's either the limit switch inside the rotor or the contacts in the switch in the control box.

The control box is easy to check. I'd try that first.

If the problem is in the rotor it's time for a rebuild.

6. hookedon6

hookedon6 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

go here http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...jpk5lad/download/CDE%20Ham%20IV%20rotator.pdf

you can troubleshoot it from the ground. both the rotor and the control unit.

see page 12

7. Eastside

You can push either lever and it will rotate in the same direction?

8. Eastside

9. Eastside

I have a suspicion that the wires on the back of the terminal on the bottom of the rotor may have been re-soldered on the wrong terminals....because there were big globs off solder on the terminals...a hack job for sure....that would explain why it runs counter clock-wise when you push the lever for it to run clock-wise:rolleyes:

10. hookedon6

hookedon6 W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

well, it's prettty simple,.....
    pin 1 on the controller goes to pin 1 on the rotor
    pin 2 on the controller goes to pin 2 on the rotor
    pin 3 on the controller goes to pin 3 on the rotor

...ect

did you test it with a VOM as written on page 12?

when you say " it runs counter clock-wise when you push the lever for it to run clock-wise" , are you talking about the TOP or the BOTTOM of the rotor?

when viewed from above, the TOP of a rotor WILL turn CW when the CCW lever is used.

11. Eastside

Yep...the rotor and control box are connected correctly.....I tested the control box with my mm and its working properly......the short or whatever is in the rotor.....there are 2 contact breakers up next to the motor....1 set has voltage and the other does not.....that is as far as I got with my trouble shooting today.......yes it rotates ccw when viewing rotor from the top....the ring gear turns ccw when you push the brake release and push the lever on the right down.