• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Center Load Antenna question

jrd426

Sep 5, 2018
Hi, i currently use only mag mount antennas and have had very good results with an old wilson 1000 antenna. Im wondering if trying a center load antenna would gain even better results. I find that center load antennas usually are fixed mount and not usually seen used with a mag mount i guess being a little top heavy vs just the whip used on most base load mag mounts. Is it doable to use a center load antenna with a magnet mount setup or would i just be asking for problems when on the highway. The vehicle is 1/2 ton pick up truck.
Many thx!

You will need a tripple mag mount if you drive faster than 30mph, I like the hustler beer can and the tram wildcat and the old pennetrator, but nothing beats a 102". btw anyone ever try an oil coil?

if you notice a difference with the center loaded antenna it probably means you had a problem with your base loaded antenna.

there are benefits of raising the loading coil up the antenna, but they are minimal.

If anyone is looking for a super cheap antenna that actually works somewhat well, i have been using this one for a couple of years now (don't laugh i bought it specifically to test out the absolute cheapest "good" antenna on Amazon).
Amazon product ASIN B00TY2KPE6
i use it on my van with a mag mount and it actually works pretty well.

sure the oil is a gimmick, but because they wanted to sell their gimmick they made a somewhat decent antenna.

it's hilarious looking but honestly for under 30 dollars it works pretty F-ing well!
LC

what i posted was a link to amazon.

if you click on it, does it take you to a listing for the antenna on amazon?
LC

what advantage would the center loaded antenna give? flatter SWR curve?
A base loaded antenna has the highest current point (node) just above the loading coil. But if we relocate the loading coil to the approximate center of the antenna, the current node will rise as well. This fact doubles the radiation resistance. It would double the efficiency too (all else being equal), but there is a bit more coil (Q) losses as center loading approximately doubles the required reactance for resonance. We could move the coil higher up (higher than center), but increasing Q losses soon offset the increase in radiation resistance. in other words, a center loaded antenna is more efficient than a base loaded antenna.

i'll try it again, but if it doesn't work for you this time im afraid the problem is on your end.

Amazon product ASIN B00TY2KPE6
if this doesn't work just go to amazon and search for:

"Tram Oil Filled Coil CB Antenna"​

LC
must be a Chrome only feature. thanks for posting the name. Pale Moon, and FireFox are a no-go.
Glad to hear good reports on the oil coil, I wish I had a mobile that would make that oil smoke :) like a vape pen.
with enough wattage, perhaps you could. xD
A base loaded antenna has the highest current point (node) just above the loading coil. But if we relocate the loading coil to the approximate center of the antenna, the current node will rise as well. This fact doubles the radiation resistance. It would double the efficiency too (all else being equal), but there is a bit more coil (Q) losses as center loading approximately doubles the required reactance for resonance. We could move the coil higher up (higher than center), but increasing Q losses soon offset the increase in radiation resistance. in other words, a center loaded antenna is more efficient than a base loaded antenna.
thank you.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated