• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Changing Band's

Can it be done? I am sure if you have the knowlage it can be done....

Cost effective....no,you would have to change most everything in the amp to get it to work as intended,not to mention all the time it would take to swap out everything

In the long run I would say you would be better off to go and buy an amp for 2 meter

First there is possible and then there is practical.Almost anything is possible but often it is not practical.

The transistors used in 11m amps are not designed to operate on the frequencies used for 2m. The 2SC2879 is good to only about 30-40MHz before things start to get flakey and the SD1446 is good to only the VHF low band. For 2m you need either a VHF high band transistor or a UHF type.

Having said that, often the converse is true and you can make an amp work on a much lower frequency than it was designed for. I converted a 2m amp to run on 6m once and I converted an 11m amp that had a VHF ow band type SD1446 transistor to work on 6m which is where the SD1446 was designed to operate.

Beyond the transistors are the major differences between broadband HF amplifier design and VHF strip line designs typically used on 2 meters. The broadband transformers in a CB amp are replaced by tuned circuits with their small value inductors formed by traces on the PC board. On the other hand if the amp in question were a tube amp that ran a tube capable of VHF, you would have to replace the input and output circuits. An efficient VHF tank circuit is not the easiest thing to design but is possible if the tube were anything between a 3CX400A7 and a 3CX1500A7. Sweep tubes, 811A, 3-500Z, and 572B's are out of the question on 2 meters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.